22r carburetor problems. runs with revs, but not on idle

22richo

Hi guys,

I have a petrol 2wd '94 hilux, 22r RN85r and I am having troubles with the idle. The ute has been sitting for over a year and hasn't been started, it was serviced just before I put it to rest and was idling fine then, but now to start it I have to put a little fuel in the carby and rev it it to keep it running. As soon as you let off the throttle it gives a fart and dies. I am thinking it's a vacuum problem but I don't know a whole lot about carburetors to say any thing for sure. The rubber plunger on the side is still fine I think, and I tested the solenoids (there is two, one I'm sure is the choke but I don't know what the top one is if anyone knows) and they are both working fine. The bloody thing will only run through the main jet. If anyone could please she'd some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Richo

Needs a clean-prob blocked idle passage. Carb cleaner may work without a stripdown, but that's the most likely effective cure. Storing vehicles is difficult-but you should always drain the carb. at least. NB carb cleaner isn't cheap, so use it so you don't have to get another can. Carbs are not VERY difficult to understand, tho' the anti-pollution plumbing is a PITA when it stops working as intended. Some of it may not be replacable by now, so going near a CO meter might be a serious problem.....