Why Do Aussie Models Have The Goodies Stripped Out?

I was just doing a bit of detective work on the new Yaris, and have noticed that the Aussie models have again missed-out on the goodies that our European cousins enjoy - specifically, we get rear drum brakes while they get rear discs; they get climate control but we don't; they get keyless start but we don't; we pay $750 for side, curtain & knee airbags but European's get them standard; they get the 1.5 VVTL-i engine but we get only the 1.5 VVT-i donk! Is it just me that's ****** with Toyota Australia? They seem to go to any lengths to save a cent here and there, at the expense of us!

Yes, that is true to an extent, but there is only a couple of grand difference now, but the equipment is worth far more than that, and they pay 17.5% VAT as compared to our 10% GST - so the enhanced profit margin is going straight into Toyota Australia's hip!

I forgot to mention that the European models also get the CD player that plays WMA files, and they get 6 speakers (we get 4)!

.....And they also have the option of the magnificent '4D-4' 1.4 Turbo Diesel Engine - the best Yaris engine by a long shot!

I forgot to mention that the European models also get the CD player that plays WMA files, and they get 6 speakers (we get 4)!

.....And they also have the option of the magnificent '4D-4' 1.4 Turbo Diesel Engine - the best Yaris engine by a long shot!

yer it would be more expensive ...

also the yaris is almost the same price as a corolla as is .. why would they make a smaller car more exxy than a corolla .. noone would buy it

but then again australians like there big powered cars so the yaris is for youngsters and house wifes run around car. So they wont have all the features that the european models have. Aslo Europe is more small car territory and thus more ppl will be buying them so they will add all the extra goodies to compete with the peugots,fords etc

• 2 weeks later...

yer it would be more expensive ...

also the yaris is almost the same price as a corolla as is .. why would they make a smaller car more exxy than a corolla .. noone would buy it

The Yaris might be a different story ... for $19990 you can get a Corolla with, hmm, a CD player and air-con, or for $500 less you can get a Yaris with as much gear and almost as much space as a Levin, all for only a slight loss in performance.