Aftermarket ABS

Buddha

Just a thought that popped into my head (as do all my good ideas! :P ) ... just wondering if anyone knows if ABS can be fitted to the Corollas in the aftermarket, and if so, what would the wallet damage be?

Its the one thing I didn't think of at the time we bought the car, and its the only other item that I miss on our wagon.

If anyone knows anything (esp. those that work for dealers), let us know.

Cheers.

I did ask, as i bought a second hand car without it.

The dealer said something like $7k, but prob did it to scare me.

However I dont think it would be cheap. Sensors would need to be fitted to all wheels.

Then all the brake lines would have to be replaced to go to the ABS controller,

then the ABS controller and actuator would need to be fitted.

Then the labour cost of said work.

cheaper to sell the car and buy one with ABS from factory. The cost of the parts is not cheap at all, all the sensors, ABS actuator, lines, ECU, and in some cases different hubs and driveshafts with the casting for the ABS sensor and the toothed wheel cast into the outer CV joint, etc etc etc. $7K for parts wouldn't suprise me, but I do think that would be a wild stab in the dark as I doubt the dealer would have taken you seriously enough to catalogue the entire set of parts required, then look each individual one up and get prices/availability for each (price can also be dependant on the part location, eg Aus or Japan)

You will probably find that your loom will already have the plugs present for the electronic side of the system, so that part would be fairly easy.

simple.....

step it up a notch

get a levin :lol: it comes in wagon tooo

Yeah, wouldn't have minded the Levin, but at the time, the extra $4g just for some body bits, a roof rack and ABS was a bit steep.

Now of course, $4g for ABS is suddenly looking pretty cheap :P

simple.....

step it up a notch

get a levin :lol: it comes in wagon tooo

Yeah, wouldn't have minded the Levin, but at the time, the extra $4g just for some body bits, a roof rack and ABS was a bit steep.

Now of course, $4g for ABS is suddenly looking pretty cheap :P

mmm...when i bought my ascent sedan.. the quot i got for ABS is about $1400 or was it about $2000...i can't remember..this was in 2002...so i've no idea y ur quote was $7000??

mmm...when i bought my ascent sedan.. the quot i got for ABS is about $1400 or was it about $2000...i can't remember..this was in 2002...so i've no idea y ur quote was $7000??

that is factory,

after your car delivered is a different story

other this is the $7k was a figure the sales person i was talked to put out of thin air. I still dont think it would be cheap

Edited by fad

ABS is obviously out of the question, why not upgrade your Rotors & Calipers for greater stopping power?

While an upgrade is good it still doesnt give you the "Anti Lock" feature.

Great in a Panic stop situation.

ABS is obviously out of the question, why not upgrade your Rotors & Calipers for greater stopping power?

Yep, when the $$ become available, I'm going to get some DBA slotted discs and have a look at some appropriate pads.

Just hoping there was a reasonably inexpensive ABS system out there. There is a generic ABS available in the US, called Brakemaster, but I can't find any Aussie retailers.