K&N air filter

kelvin

hey,

just wondering whether a K&N panel filter for a V6 camry sportivo will make any difference at all? and how much it costs.

Hi Kelvin

It will be about $110 and give you about 2% gain in power approx. The added benefit is that it will save you money in the long run as you never need to buy another filter just service it yourself ;) .

I have CAI (cold air induction) which gives about 7-10% more power. But that is another step in the process depends on what your aim is

I was looking at getting an APEXI CAI done, but becuase the camry sportivo ATI sensor or watever is attached to the air filter. How did you install it? they said they might need an adaptor or something to separate the sensor but yeah..

Mind telling me how u managed to fit your CAI? thanx mate

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

get us a picture, its not to hard.

if the cables are after the main air metering device, thats where they go with the new intake, if theyre infront of the air filter, same deal (not that they do that).

expect to shell out between $200-300 TOTAL (including a quality filter and labour charges) for a custom intake.

you will have to remove the original airbox/resonator/snorkel yourself.

a reputable exhaust shop will be more then happy to bend you a custom intake.

as for the K&N filter, YES you will notice a difference, because you will be swapping from a dirty paper filter. there is a slight less pressure drop reduction with oiled cotton, at the sacrifice of less filtration.

as for a cold air intake, you will notice a difference (mainly on hot days), but make sure there is plenty of room AROUND the filter for it to breathe, this is the main point. those cone filters with the small shroud around them dont work. this is also why airboxes are so big (ever seen a high performance bike? the air box is almost always bigger then the fuel tank or head of the engine itself, even if the filter elements are small).

hey,

just wondering whether a K&N panel filter for a V6 camry sportivo will make any difference at all? and how much it costs.

I'm thinking of just purchasing a panel filter to fit into existing box. I have heard there is a marginal increase in power and better fuel economy, and of course re-usable.....I think pods are overated....especially inducted ones since the concentration of air flow is to on portion of the filter and the other side is exposed to engine bay heat.

thats my opinion.

Brad

• 1 month later...

if you decide to stick with the standard airbox, remove everything before it and run some 3" piping from its inlet to fresh air outfront.

but you newer cars have snorkels already.

Personally the air intake snorkel in the current V6 version is crap. It sits upright cliped in a tight corner looking at the headlight. [maybe its another way for Toyota in de-tuning there engines for greater reliability??] Just open the hood after a reasonble run to find out the amount of heat it must be sucking in(even tho it is laten heat). I agree with TSR by channeling the flow of cool air directly into the lower airbox. And cealing any other vents that may prevent engine bay heat. The K&N filters have a high resistance to moisture if your worried about the airflow containing water fragments on wet days.

Brad

hey,

Hi Kelvin

It will be about $110 and give you about 2% gain in power approx. The added benefit is that it will save you money in the long run as you never need to buy another filter just service it yourself ;) .

I have CAI (cold air induction) which gives about 7-10% more power. But that is another step in the process depends on what your aim is

7-10% ? there is no way unless you are highly turboed or have some crazy mods. 2% is what they claim on K&N but if you're switching from a clean paper filter to a K&N. You won't feel a difference at all. It's all in your head and there were tests done. You can even check out the magazines. There was a dyno done with the K&N filter and NO filter...........it was only a miniscule difference. 1 HP gain. whoopty doo.

That is with Cold air induction pod filter :)

:ph34r: oh ok. well just saying. The point is, in an intake system. The filter makes a miniscule difference. Just find the one that filters the best. You'll lose some HP and you could make your engine last longer.