Cruise control

Just thinking….. I wonder how many unfortunate road accidents might actually be caused by Cruise control. It has the effect of putting people to sleep or just not as alert as they otherwise might be. Also a powerful car can keep accelerating at inappropriate moments, on slippery surfaces around a bend that would otherwise be driven around. :unsure:

And the reason we use controls such as this……our fascination for keeping the needle at or as close to the speed limit as possible. When we drive we naturally fluctuate a bit (just being realistic) but now we spend more time looking at the dial afraid of a radar and not driving to the conditions. :ph34r:

Of course people are going to use cruise control so they don’t get a fine but it might be a lot more dangerous…… :huh:

What do you think?

Cruise COntrol is DANGEROUS!!! I was driving down to Melbourne last week in a Honda Accord Euro and with cruise control on i was too relaxed i fell asleep at the wheel. That's due to the fact that my legs don't move and i do not have to pay attention to the speedometer. If i had driven normally my right ankle would have to move due to the need to step on/off the gas pedal and i had to pay more attention to the speedometer. I NEVER ONCE fell asleep without cruise control on, even when driving for more than 2 hours. With cruise control all you need is 30mins!

I think cruise control gives our legs a break but we MUST NOT leave it on for extended periods, it can be fatal!

Edited by ZEEROLLA

I don't think we can necessarily blame cruise control for accidents ... for a start, its rare that you would have the opportunity to have it switched on for any length of time. Our Corolla is the first time we've had cruise control and the longest I've had it on is for an hour at the most.

Secondly, you're still in control of the vehicle ... if you come to a point when you need to slow down, you're going to do what ever you need to (e.g. use the brakes, which switches the cruise control off). When I do get to use the cruise, I use that time to scan across more of the road and mirrors and just trying to be generally more observant.

As for falling asleep at the wheel, history tells us that was happening long before cruise control was invented, and having become drowsy at the wheel myself without it, and seen others do the same, I'd say you'd have an equal chance either way. As for resting your legs, if anything, I probably move my legs more when the cruise is on, stretching toes and so on.

No offence, but if you're falling asleep within 30 mins at the wheel, cruise or not, then you're clearly too tired to drive in the first place.

Edited by Buddha

I don't think we can necessarily blame cruise control for accidents ... for a start, its rare that you would have the opportunity to have it switched on for any length of time. Our Corolla is the first time we've had cruise control and the longest I've had it on is for an hour at the most.

Secondly, you're still in control of the vehicle ... if you come to a point when you need to slow down, you're going to do what ever you need to (e.g. use the brakes, which switches the cruise control off). When I do get to use the cruise, I use that time to scan across more of the road and mirrors and just trying to be generally more observant.

As for falling asleep at the wheel, history tells us that was happening long before cruise control was invented, and having become drowsy at the wheel myself without it, and seen others do the same, I'd say you'd have an equal chance either way. As for resting your legs, if anything, I probably move my legs more when the cruise is on, stretching toes and so on.

No offence, but if you're falling asleep within 30 mins at the wheel, cruise or not, then you're clearly too tired to drive in the first place.

You have a point there Buddha. I should have rephrased the sentence "all you need is 30mins to fall asleep, after a huge supper!" :P

You have a point there Buddha. I should have rephrased the sentence "all you need is 30mins to fall asleep, after a huge supper!" :P

Perhaps that should be rephrased "all you need is 30 mins to fall asleep after a huge supper, or as little as 15 mins if you're Buddha" :D

Edited by Buddha

I think cruise control are a nice tool when use appropiately. But falling asleep. Well, people fall asleep when tired, especially when driving for along time or...driving home after a long day in the office...cruise control can't take all the blame for people falling asleep...

I second that!!!

My last two cars have had cruise, and i wouldnt buy a car without now. I often drive 600+kms in a stint and find with cruise on its much safer and less tiring.

Plus its fun overtaking people going uphill with your feet out the window :lol: , you get some funny looks

I second that!!!

My last two cars have had cruise, and i wouldnt buy a car without now. I often drive 600+kms in a stint and find with cruise on its much safer and less tiring.

Plus its fun overtaking people going uphill with your feet out the window :lol: , you get some funny looks

haha......thats funny to watch..so u had one feet out or both foot out??

Don’t get me wrong I love it and use it all the time :) especially to avoid the Radar….

Just a couple of experiences with it , I had an aftermarket one on my 1990 Camry and it decided to keep accelerating up to 160, I had to kill the ignition and pull off the road. This happend more than once, so I stopped using it ;) Just wondeing if this happens in other cars

Friends of mine fall asleep within 2 min on any form of transport, not a fan of driving with them I am convinced they will be more likely to fall asleep at the wheel not from tiredness just there nature of napping at any opportunity. :o

Don’t get me wrong I love it and use it all the time :) especially to avoid the Radar….

Just a couple of experiences with it , I had an aftermarket one on my 1990 Camry and it decided to keep accelerating up to 160, I had to kill the ignition and pull off the road. This happend more than once, so I stopped using it ;) Just wondeing if this happens in other cars

Friends of mine fall asleep within 2 min on any form of transport, not a fan of driving with them I am convinced they will be more likely to fall asleep at the wheel not from tiredness just there nature of napping at any opportunity. :o

ha..faulty aftermarket stuff....the cruise control on my mom's avalon works just fine..