RAV4 Steering Wheel + Cluster Wiring + Display Button

Vettori

Hi Everyone,

Now that my RAV4.3 is out of warranty I've been working on a project.

I've replaced the Instrument Cluster, Spiral Cable and Steering Wheel with units stripped straight from a UK based model.

The image below is how it is currently looking.

Cluster_Range_zpse2e9c580.jpg

I̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶r̶e̶w̶i̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶C̶l̶u̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶h̶a̶r̶n̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶u̶n̶i̶t̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶t̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶g̶o̶t̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶e̶a̶t̶u̶r̶e̶s̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶i̶n̶g̶.̶  Appears I only had to do this because at the time I had a manual cluster fitted to an automatic car. When I eventually got the automatic cluster I had to undo all the changes I'd made. Don't **** it up like I did, just get the correct cluster first time around.

The differences over the old AU cluster are;

Average Consumption

Instant Consumption

Average Speed

Range

Now while the cluster has a DISP button for cycling the features, I've been working on wiring the DISP button on the steering wheel to also do that function. The standard RAV4 AU's wiring harness does not have the necessary wiring to support this feature. I was able to obtain the Instrument Clusters wiring diagram and determine that Pin 18 is where the absent cable should be on the Cluster side....

Clusterplug_zpseeadccfd.png

What I wasn't able to figure out is what pin on the spiral cable / clock spring side is required to be connected.

Does anyone have any details regarding Toyota's clock springs and their standard for wiring?

Somebody suggested that pinout for the Spiral cable is the same as the kluger. I'm not sure if that is correct, nor have I been able to find any wiring diagrams regarding that clock spring either.

Edited by Vettori
Updated information
  • Like 1

OK! So Toyota have finally confirmed that the DISP wiring needs to come from the Spiral Cables E10 plug and is Pin 3. On the RAV4 cluster side it needs to be Pin 18.

I've also been able to confirm that Pin 18 on my installed cluster does not terminate anywhere as it has a physical DISP button on the cluster itself.

Evidently the alternate EU cluster type is the one that supports this feature and is displayed below.

manual_zpse1535390.png

As you can see this alternate version does not have the physical DISP button like the other one.

C̶u̶r̶i̶o̶u̶s̶l̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶r̶i̶g̶i̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶A̶u̶s̶t̶r̶a̶l̶i̶a̶n̶ ̶c̶l̶u̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶P̶i̶n̶ ̶1̶8̶ ̶w̶i̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶u̶p̶.̶ ̶S̶o̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶c̶u̶r̶i̶o̶s̶i̶t̶y̶,̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶g̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶l̶u̶g̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶p̶p̶e̶n̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶l̶y̶ ̶w̶i̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶D̶i̶s̶p̶l̶a̶y̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶t̶o̶n̶.̶  I think this information was incorrect, I may have miscounted or counted from the front of the plug instead of the back. An additional cable is required to be run to the spiral cable, its really not that bad as long as you have the correct connectors on each end. I ended up making my own cable using two ends I'd gotten from an old butchered harness a wrecker gave me. Soldered it together and viola!

Edited by Vettori
Updated information
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I know its been a while, but I only just got around to finishing this project. As previously mentioned pin# 18 is the pin controlling the display options on the cluster for the steering wheel controls. However this was not included in our factory harness, so you will need to run an extra cable from the plug to the spiral cable and match it up with the pinout for the steering wheel controls (Sounds scarier than it is).

The biggest issue I had was that the cluster I had (pictured above) was for a manual. So the AVG fuel consumption, range etc was all reporting incorrectly, I've now replaced it with an automatic version of the same type and economy etc is now all working as expected.

For those wanting to go the full hog, you will need;

- Type B cluster to suit your vehicle (Auto/Manual)
- Steering wheel with media buttons. The one I am using is from the UK version of the RAV4 which is the same as the 2009-2012 Corolla in Australia. The local Corolla ZRE controls were mostly missing the phone and voice buttons but the display button is present on the right side.
- Cable to run from the cluster to the spiral cable

For those wanting the cheaper alternative you will need;

- Type B cluster to suit your vehicle (Auto/Manual)
- Steering wheel controls from US market RAV4 Steering wheel. This option will leave you with the original and dare I say more 'bland' wheel).
- Cable to run from the cluster to spiral cable

The main difference in cost is going to be the entire replacement and importation of the steering wheel/controls. If you don't care about the more 'sporty' wheel then scoring some US controls that include the display button will be cheaper. Unless of course you can score an entire wheel/button from the local corolla cheaply.

Quick Video showing it installed.
https://youtu.be/BSBTbpZlU90
For some reason range didn't work until the tank was topped up.

DISP.thumb.PNG.05d1f0237a7d153bbec7f36bad9b0921.PNG

Edited by Vettori
Updated information

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2019 at 9:02 AM, YellowStig said:

Did you need to program your odometer into the EU cluster?

In my experience if you get the Automatic version it will read the information from the ECU correctly so no additional programming is required for accurate consumption etc. As far as 'other' settings are concerned most of those can be changed by the settings menu on the cluster itself ie, l/100, km/l, language etc.

The cluster I installed as per the video is a kmph variant and doesn't have MPG as an option in the setup menu. However the alternate I have is a manual gearbox version from the UK which had kmph and mph and included mpg in the settings menu. The manual cluster however did not display consumption correctly.

If you're using the correct cluster for your transmission then you will only need to have the ODO programmed to reflect accurate kms.

Edited by Vettori

• 2 months later...