having a problem with my new wheels

gg888

hey guys....

im fairly new to this forum though iv noticed some of you guys are pretty cluey when it comes to stivo's.

i recently bought an 05 stivo and put it on 18 inch Apec Attack wheels. they fit on great... except when i was driving to work this morning i noticed that the steering wheel was kinda shaky when doing 100-110km/h

i havnt had the new wheels wheel alligned because im having it dropped at pedders on the weekend and they wheel align after lowering.

do you think the wheel allignment is my problem or is it something else???

the wheel specs are 215/35/R18

Most likely the alignment and balance, but also a good idea to check that correct hub rings were installed when the wheels were put in.

So once the suspension is in and the alignment is done, the shaking should stop, but if it persists, it's either tyre/wheel balance or the hub rings.

Cheers

i fitted the wheels myself....

for someone who doesnt know much about wheels... what exactly are the hub rings????

anyways i'll get the allignment done and get back to you about the result.

Thanks mate

O’Rings/Spigot Rings or Alloy Wheel Hub Rings are used to ensure that the wheel is centred correctly on the hub, the studs alone can't do this.

It's important (but sometimes neglected by many wheel and tyre places) to ensure that your alloy wheels are secure and centred properly with a Hub Ring. With no Hub Ring, the wheel will have some play on the hub and will vibrate and long term can be a little dangerous.

hey guys....

im fairly new to this forum though iv noticed some of you guys are pretty cluey when it comes to stivo's.

i recently bought an 05 stivo and put it on 18 inch Apec Attack wheels. they fit on great... except when i was driving to work this morning i noticed that the steering wheel was kinda shaky when doing 100-110km/h

i havnt had the new wheels wheel alligned because im having it dropped at pedders on the weekend and they wheel align after lowering.

Wheel Alignment has nothing to do with Steering Shake. Wheel alignment only controls what direction your car will travel in, preferably a straight line. A car with bad alignment will pull either left or right when travelling a long a level straight road at a constant speed.

An unbalanced wheel will also shake the steering wheel. Try getting your wheels re-balanced first. Shouldn't cost more than $30.

More than likely the steering shake is caused by not have Hub Locating Rings as you insatalled the wheels yourself. Any good tyre shop will have heaps of various sizes availabe if your wheels didn't have them included. It will just be matter of trying each size until the correct size is found. If the Tyre shop you go to doesn't know what you're talking about than they do not know what they are talking about so find another shop.

Also I'm glad to hear your getting your car lowered by suspension professionals & that they are doing the wheel alignment. Tyre shops don't know S#$T when it comes to doing a proper alignment & camber adjustment.

Anyway, good luck, I'm sure the problem is an easy fix. :D :D

hey guys....

Wheel Alignment has nothing to do with Steering Shake. Wheel alignment only controls what direction your car will travel in, preferably a straight line. A car with bad alignment will pull either left or right when travelling a long a level straight road at a constant speed.

An unbalanced wheel will also shake the steering wheel. Try getting your wheels re-balanced first. Shouldn't cost more than $30.

More than likely the steering shake is caused by not have Hub Locating Rings as you insatalled the wheels yourself. Any good tyre shop will have heaps of various sizes availabe if your wheels didn't have them included. It will just be matter of trying each size until the correct size is found. If the Tyre shop you go to doesn't know what you're talking about than they do not know what they are talking about so find another shop.

Also I'm glad to hear your getting your car lowered by suspension professionals & that they are doing the wheel alignment. Tyre shops don't know S#$T when it comes to doing a proper alignment & camber adjustment.

Anyway, good luck, I'm sure the problem is an easy fix. :D :D

Sorry one other thing, are you aware that your tyres will probably be illegal, in NSW anyway as 215/35/18 will not meet the required load rating for the Corolla, which is 87V, refer to label on inside of Glovebox. It is very common for people to be defected for this small over sight. If you are not sure the load rating is printed on the sidewall of the tyre.

i am also looking at 18's to try to fill the depressingly large guards of my rolla... what size tyres should i get then???

I can't find an 18" tyre that will legally fit the Corolla ACCORDING TO NSW LAW'S.

215/35/18 - Correct size but Tyre does not meet load rating requirements.

225/35/18 - This tyre will meet the required load rating but is too wide according to the Law. You can only go 1" wider than standard. This means if you have a Sportivo which comes with a 195/55/16 you can only go as wide as a 215 & if you go up to an 18" you must come down to a 35 series.

An 18" inch wheel in a 40 series will meet your load rating but will not meet the overall diameter requirements. This will throw your speedo out so is not good in many ways.

If annyone can prove me wrong & find a 215/35/18 tyre with at least an 87V load rating than let me know as would would consider buying a set straight away.

Having said that I bought myself a set of high quality Japanese forged rims in 17". They are very light & strong & suit the car without being overstated. I ride on 215/45/17 Bridgestone Potenze GIII, which are a great tyre but expensive. Worth it in the end though as they wear really well. One other thing, a 45 series tyre will scrub occasionally with a 35mm drop on standard shocks on rough roads such as the Nasho is in Sydney but otherwise they are an ideal tyre size, giving better comfort than a 40 series & filling the gap a little better.

You should also understand that if you were involved in an accident that was your fault With Illegal Wheels & Tyres's fitted to the car & an Insurance Investigator was to assess you vehicle you RUN THE RISK of VOIDING your policy as your car will not be road legal. Imagine having to cover the cost of the damage to your vehicle & anything else you may have hit. this has happened to people I know so I speak from experinece.