Added a spin on inline fliter

In reading lots about the u660e on toyota nation, I bought this kit and fitted it. I didnt use the supplied filter but chose a ryco Z9 HE, which is massive and the 'HE' means it filters 99% of particles at 20 microns. I think its a synthetic filter material - worth a look on the ryco site.

To make sure the fluid level is ok I weighed my clean oil drain pan, took off the hoses to the radiator, caught the dribble and re weighed it at the end. Although the fluid is probably a bit less dense than water ( as oil floats) I added a ml per gram that the pan got heavier by. Also found that the fliter holds 700ml and the longer hoses got an estimate. All up I put 900ml back in, the system now takes approx 800ml more than standard. car has 198 000km, I have removed the pan, cleaned and replaced 2.8litres of fluid about 6000km ago when I got the car as well.

The fluid that came out was not clean light red like the new stuff but it was not nearly black either. In the USA the u660e now has a fluid replacement interval of 60 000km from Toyota but the makers,Aisin Warner recommend shorter intervals. Not sure why Toyota here dosent.

The trans should also run a little cooled too, as I removed hose of about 25cm length and added about a metre to get to the filter mount point just in front and at the bottom of the radiator.

post-19490-0-36779300-1436413691_thumb.j

Yes, I think there are many filters that fit this kit ($70 from ebay) and the Z9 is the largest one that ryco makes in the High Efficency range, so I assume it also has the largest filter paper