Toyota Oil change

Good morning :)

I have decided to try The Toyota oil - R150.00 buys a 15W40 oil that Toyota saya is mineral.

I have decided against the 5W40 Castrol Edge (R240.00) just incase the 5W is too thin in the morning.

Many people say drain the oil at operating temp though if the car has stood over night, surely the oil is all in the sump and one will drain more out. At operating temp the oil is sitting all over.

Which is best.......

Good morning :)

I have decided to try The Toyota oil - R150.00 buys a 15W40 oil that Toyota saya is mineral.

I have decided against the 5W40 Castrol Edge (R240.00) just incase the 5W is too thin in the morning.

Many people say drain the oil at operating temp though if the car has stood over night, surely the oil is all in the sump and one will drain more out. At operating temp the oil is sitting all over.

Which is best.......

I use Mobile 1 5W-50 for my car and I haven't had a problem.

I was an apprentice motor mechanic for 2 years and I recommend you change the oil at operating temperature. Oil is best drained when it's hot. It'll drain alot quicker than if it's cold. Obviously, the sump plug would be hot but you'll get used to it after a while. The last thing you want though is to have hot oil pouring on your hand when you undo the sump plug. There's a trick to it but it's sorta hard to explain. You can sorta feel the oil coming out and then you hafta remove the plug quickly enough to let the oil run into the drain tin rather than your hand.

You'll never get all the old oil out. I usually put the plug back in once it starts dripping. It'd be a good idea to replace the sump plug washer as well if it's not a copper or aluminium one.

I have just finished putting the new oil in. I noticed though that the old oil almost filled the 5 litre container that I used.

It is also strange that I used well over 4 litres to fill the engine with the new oil, yet the Corolla book says that it takes 3.6 litres.

At no stage prior to or after the change has the oil ever been over the full mark on the dip stick.

Has anyone ever had this.

The engine is the 3ZZ-FE -> same as the 1ZZ-FE.

I was an apprentice motor mechanic for 2 years and I recommend you change the oil at operating temperature...

Im curious...

With taking off and putting back the sump plug did you guys use that rattle gun/power wrench?

I wanted to change my Oil (Old Camry) and I coulnt take the sump plug off! I even got a few mate's over and still couln't it was like it was glued on.

We ended up sending it off to the garage and let them do it cuz they have the tools.

I was an apprentice motor mechanic for 2 years and I recommend you change the oil at operating temperature...

Im curious...

With taking off and putting back the sump plug did you guys use that rattle gun/power wrench?

I wanted to change my Oil (Old Camry) and I coulnt take the sump plug off! I even got a few mate's over and still couln't it was like it was glued on.

We ended up sending it off to the garage and let them do it cuz they have the tools.

I've always used a spanner and I've never had a problem, except for situations where the sump plug was rounded previously. First, you need a REAL spanner, not a toy one from a home tool kit. Get a good quality spanner. This is where size really matters. A good, long spanner means you won't hafta use as much energy trying to undo the bugger. What I always do is place the ring side of the spanner on the sump plug and hold it with one of your thumbs, and then hit the open ended side of the spanner anti-clockwise. I avoid leaning on the spanner when I try and undo it because if I slip I might round the plug and cause problems for later. If all else fails, get a socket and a breaker-bar to undo it. NEVER use air tools on sump plugs. If you strip it, you'll know all about it. Not worth the risk. They could've done it very tight off the factory. My oil filer certainly was.

Im curious...

I've always used a spanner and I've never had a problem, except for situations where the sump plug was rounded previously. First, you need a REAL spanner, not a toy one from a home tool kit. Get a good quality spanner. This is where size really matters. A good, long spanner means you won't hafta use as much energy trying to undo the bugger. What I always do is place the ring side of the spanner on the sump plug and hold it with one of your thumbs, and then hit the open ended side of the spanner anti-clockwise. I avoid leaning on the spanner when I try and undo it because if I slip I might round the plug and cause problems for later. If all else fails, get a socket and a breaker-bar to undo it. NEVER use air tools on sump plugs. If you strip it, you'll know all about it. Not worth the risk. They could've done it very tight off the factory. My oil filer certainly was.

Thanks for the info mate :)

Yes we were using our "toy spanner" from the good ol toolbox :)

I think ill pop into Repco or Autobarn and see what sort of tools they have. Thats probably what I needed just a longer arm to get more leverage. Heh was a good day anyway everyone taking turns giving each other crap LOL

so an oil change every 10 000 or 5 000?

When I get my Corolla ill let the Workshop do the normal log book service which I think is every 10K (otherwise the warranty will be void) but in between I will be doing my own little oil change.

So my car will be serviced every 5K.

I think the more you change your oil the better as the oil doesent get polluted with gunk and doesent loose any of its protection abilities thus protecting the engine even better. :)

I change my oil every 6 months cos I only do abt 15000kms a yr. If you do a lof of kms, then I reckon every 10000 is good enough.

When I get my Corolla ill let the Workshop do the normal log book service which I think is every 10K (otherwise the warranty will be void) but in between I will be doing my own little oil change.

So my car will be serviced every 5K.

I think the more you change your oil the better as the oil doesent get polluted with gunk and doesent loose any of its protection abilities thus protecting the engine even better. :)

I don't trust warranty. Never took my car back to Toyota since I had my free 1000km check-up. I believe that there are millions of reasons that a dealership can avoid dealing with warranty issues. My dad went through that with his car. During the warranty period, you take the car back for a problem, they'll say it's normal. After the warranty is over, they'll tell you there's a problem because then you'll have to pay to get things fixed.

Either way, it's alot cheaper to do your own oil changes. Labour is the most expensive thing in the automotive industry. I mean, total up the costs of oil and oil filter for each oil change, and compare that with what you pay at dealerships. Keep in mind that it's a 10 minute job at a garage where there are hoists and proper tools.

I totally agree, once you do the oil change over its always the same, its an easy job. For the cash spent on a service you can aquire a few good tools also. The problem is the world is F@cked these days and people are too tidious and dont want to get their hands dirty so they pay, and the dealers trwo you all these extended warranties so you have to service your car. It sucks. I do myown service every 5, and take it in every other 5 so the books are kept in check every 10.

I totally agree, once you do the oil change over its always the same, its an easy job. For the cash spent on a service you can aquire a few good tools also. The problem is the world is F@cked these days and people are too tidious and dont want to get their hands dirty so they pay, and the dealers trwo you all these extended warranties so you have to service your car. It sucks. I do myown service every 5, and take it in every other 5 so the books are kept in check every 10.

Some of us unfortunately are mechanically inept, so we need someone to do it for us ... if I was confident doing it, then I would.

One thing I've noticed about the Corolla, though ... with my Starlet, there was a noticable difference in cost of servicing between Toyota and others (e.g. Ultra Tune, etc). With the Corolla, the difference in price is so minimal, its worth having Toyota do it.