Front control arm and Rear swaybar bushes

campbeam

I am getting my 1998 Camry CSX sedan ready to be registered for my teenage sons. Owned since new and has been sitting in the shed for about 2 years and has about 205,000 kms on the odometer. I did not expect any issues but the roadworthy inspection has identified that the rear bushings on both front lower control arms are torn and the rear sway bar bushings are worn. Quite surprised but did not know that control arms have an estimated life of 90,000 -100,00 miles..

Rear swaybar bushings were very worn so much so that the swaybar could be easily moved in a sideways motion.

Next checked the lower control arm as per a YouTube video method of car wheels fully turned to the right or left then have an assistant jiggle the steering wheel. Nothing obviously wrong. When the vehicle was jacked up and the wheel removed, then I could see the slight tear in the control arm bushing. I had a bit of a struggle loosening the bolts especially the one for the rear bushing. Certainly cursing that [Chris Fix] YouTube video where he made it look all so easy using a breaker bar. Attached video mentions the torque settings for the different bolts. Explains why I am feeling a bit sore and also appreciating having quality tools. 

New control arms from eBay seller should arrive in the next few days. Certainly hoping removal and installation of the control arms goes as smoothly as the video.

Now going to have a closer inspection of the control arms and sway bar bushings on my other vehicles.

7 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

The hardest bit is getting the rear subframe bush out and back in/lined up.

Exactly what I am expecting, more getting it back in and lined up. Should be able to lever it out OK. 

7 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

Use a screwdriver if you don't have a roll pin/podger bar through the hole.

Thank you for that thought. I always like to plan ahead. Now got just the tool in mind, now just have to find it before next Saturday. Hopefully, a bit of silicone spray will make the refitting easier. 

Took me 5 hours to replace both lower control arms and this was with the bolts pre-loosened. Crowbar and a flashlight were handy extras. Crowbar to help lever out the rear bushing and the flashlight to see for aligning the retaining bolt for the rear bushing. Initially, I did the driver's side and this went easily. No problems with the rear bushing must have been sheer luck. Passenger side was more time-consuming. Eventually got the retaining nut aligned with the bolt for the rear bushing. Then more time aligning the other bolts.

Checked the original control arms and the rear bushings were damaged. Passenger side was in worse condition.