Fitting a electric brake controller to my 2011 Hilux

brickpaver

I want to fit a Tekomseh electric brake controller to my 2011 hilux, which does then present two or three questions.

DO I get it fitted by an auto electrician at some of the strangely hidious prices that I've been quoted, ($150 to $225 labour only) OR,...do I fit it myself, using the presumably included wiring diagram.  I am personally tempted to fit it myself seeing as I am assuming that it shouldn't be too difficult as long as I 'follow the bouncing ball'.

Thirdly,... is there an 'ideal' spot under the dash to mount the unit, as I've been told to be aware of air bag bits and pieces under there.

Cheers.

Lance 

6 minutes ago, brickpaver said:

I want to fit a Tekomseh electric brake controller to my 2011 hilux, which does then present two or three questions.

DO I get it fitted by an auto electrician at some of the strangely hidious prices that I've been quoted, ($150 to $225 labour only) OR,...do I fit it myself, using the presumably included wiring diagram.  I am personally tempted to fit it myself seeing as I am assuming that it shouldn't be too difficult as long as I 'follow the bouncing ball'.

Thirdly,... is there an 'ideal' spot under the dash to mount the unit, as I've been told to be aware of air bag bits and pieces under there.

Cheers.

Lance 

Prices sound a bit rural [me or diy], but remember these are brakes, and they HAVE to work propperly.    Could easily have problems under dash, inc setting the airbags off.   It's not difficult, but there are traps for the unwary and a failure could put you in court if u diy.     When it comes to safety, it's often cheaper to leave it to experts.    Just make sure it's not his first one, and my experience of Tekumseh(?)is old lawnmowers, posthole diggers and truck refidgeration units--all awfu, but progress may have come.

I do have a Tekonsha controller in my car and towing a 1.3 tonne poptop van, I have had no dramas with it, which is why I wanted to go with the same brand controller in my ute.  I do of course understand the need for it to be fitted correctly and if it isn't a straight forward procedure then I would not even think of attempting it myself.

The other option that I do have is a controller bracket supplied and fitted and wired up, to the ute where all I would need to do then is simply unplug the controller unit itself from the car and plug it in to the bracket in the ute. I've had a registered Tow bar and 4WD company quote me $180 for this,. supply and fit. That is obviously the way to go if for safety reasons, I don't try to fit it myself.