'Clicking' front-end noise when braking?

riftime

Hi all,

I haven't used this forum in a while, apology if this is a known issue and already answered. If so, please point me to the relevant thread, a few minutes of searching didn't yield positive hits.

About a month ago I had my 2007 Presara serviced. Cost almost $1,000 due to the major service and I asked for transmission to be serviced as well. Front brakes were changed, along with some 'tightening'. This is what I call it, unsure what it's technically called, suspect they just check and tighten suspension related bolts and engine mounts? The car overall feels 'tighter' now, and a front-end rattle that I previously failed to identify magically went away. However, at times (not always) when I apply the brakes gently at low speeds there's an occasional clicking or minor knocking coming from the front end. Wasn't there before. It's not a pebble in the tyre (or the like) as it sometimes clicks numerous times while the wheel wouldn't have made a complete revolution. The clicking sequence/pattern is not always the same. 

Breaking medium or hard will not make noise. Braking at higher speed won't make any noise either. Only happens when braking gently at low speeds in a straight line.

Wondering if anyone has ideas of what this might be? Could it be ball joint related, or maybe sway bar links worn bushes that are now clicking/knocking due to additional stress after the general front -end 'tightening'? Maybe CV joints? I'm fishing here to see if any of you can relate with identical symptoms and what you found the root cause and solution to be.

Thanks!

I would be inclined to jack up the car and rotate each of the front wheels. Unlikely to be wheel bearings but will not hurt to check anyway. Next step would be to remove the wheels and visually inspect the brake pads and rotors. Also rotate the wheel hubs to replicate any clicking sounds. Next check would be the sway bar bushes.

If you find nothing obvious at the front, then check the rear.

Following thread may be of some interest.

https://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/55406-front-rotorspads/