Water in tail lights - 2014 Kluger

Mals

Hi There, I own a 2014 Kluger and have recently noticed some rain water (about 20mm approx) has made it inside my tail lights both left and right. Has anyone else had this problem with this model? I’m worried Toyota won’t cover a replacement/repair bill because the car is out of warranty even though this appears to be a defect with the design or sealant used when manufacturing the tail lights. I’ve never had an issue like this before with previous Toyota’s I’ve owned?!?! 😞 

Hi Brendan, I have the series 2 kluger (the last one built in Japan). I have been reluctant to change to the later model, knowing that it is now built in the US. I was concerned the build quality would decline in the series 3 due to not being built in Japan and have decided to wait a few years to see how the series 3 went. Like you, I have owned a number of Toyota's including Australian built Camry's, I have never had quality issues. The last car I owned which had water in lights was a 1977 Ford Cortina (Australian built), they had terrible quality control, and I have never bought another ford since. My series 2 has never had a fault, so I will not be changing it any time soon, I am seeing more and more faults reported with the series 3. I would approach your toyota dealer and see if they will replace the light, it is clearly a build issue.

Yeah thanks Ian I will do. The tail lights really protrude from the body, an unnecessary design/style feature in my opinion & maybe this is also contributing to the issue. I notice the newest Klugers (from 2017 onwards) have restyled tail lights which are more flush to the body. Photo of the water in the left tail light below.

CDD192F6-6583-47F5-ADF3-DB25415FB3C5.jpeg

I would be going to Toyota and show them also mention that a recall was given out to Aurion owners as we had a recall on our 2010 ZR6 to have the gaskets replaced on the tail lights for the exact problem you are experiencing