Should I import my Prado from overseas?

AshKaizer

Hi all,

I have a 2005 VX Prado (Petrol) in South Africa which we used to for safaris. My question is. Is it worth bringing over to OZ? I think I get get it here and on the road for about 7-8k.

Why I'm unsure is... is it worth it given its petrol. I've heard mixed reviews about petrol landcruisers. My wife and I want to start traveling oz and while not doing hectic 4x4ing still want a comfortable and capable vehicle for sand and tough roads.

Should I rather invest in a 2nd hand diesel? We have a budget of 20-25K.

tx

Ash

Hi Ash,

This is a tough one. A 2005 Prado here is worth somewhere between 9k-15k depending on condition and equipment level. Not knowing the condition of yours makes it hard to assess the viability. You say it's been on Safaris, does it mean the vehicle has had a hard life ? What are Prados worth in South Africa ? Is it worth the stress of having it put on a ship, risk it getting damaged in transit, deal with customs, quarantine etc etc only to find that it would be much easier to just buy another one here ?

I'd probably lean towards selling the one you have back home and put the funds towards another. If the car has sentimental value then that's a whole new ball game. I wouldn't be too sentimental about a Prado to be honest, they are a dime a dozen, i'm sure you'll get a really nice vehicle for a third of your stated budget.

I wish you all the best with your endeavours :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks Tony, I think you are spot on about the risk of transit etc...

We would only get about 10K for it if we sell but maybe its worth it to get rid of it.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place but I can't find many landcruisers in that range. Whats the best site to use?

1 hour ago, AshKaizer said:

Thanks Tony, I think you are spot on about the risk of transit etc...

We would only get about 10K for it if we sell but maybe its worth it to get rid of it.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place but I can't find many landcruisers in that range. Whats the best site to use?

If you sell yours for say 10K are you also adding your $25K or is it a total of $25K ?

If $25K is your budget, you could go as far as a 2010 model give or take depending on what level it is.

I'd recommend carsales

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AshKaizer said:

Problem is selling the car in south africa and then needing to get the money to oz while we are here.... bureaucracy!

If you have someone trustworthy over there who can facilitate the sale then EFT the money to your account here. Perhaps send it over in smaller transactions. I'm not familiar with international money transaction rules and I don't think there would be any tax implications if you can prove the money came from the sale of a personal possession.

Do some research on it and see what you can find. 

• Like 1