Landcruiser 100 series - dashlight dimming

Robster1306

I recently bought a 2004 model, mainly for caravan towing. The caravan rear camera displays in the internal AV console unit. When towing, I often prefer to have the headlights turned on during the day. However, all dashlights (including the AV display) automatically dim, and the AV display is very difficult to view. The dimmer switch does not help.

I would prefer to be able to override this dimming functionality, perhaps via a dashboard switch.

Any ideas?

6 hours ago, Robster1306 said:

I recently bought a 2004 model, mainly for caravan towing. The caravan rear camera displays in the internal AV console unit. When towing, I often prefer to have the headlights turned on during the day. However, all dashlights (including the AV display) automatically dim, and the AV display is very difficult to view. The dimmer switch does not help.

I would prefer to be able to override this dimming functionality, perhaps via a dashboard switch.

Any ideas?

I have had this problem in the past and decided against using daytime running lights. It is an oversight by the manufacturers for sure and it's not just limited to Toyota. There should be an adjustment to cater for this, but I never bothered to investigate it any further to be honest.
I also wonder if there is possibly a setting in the system's computer that they can enable but you'd have to ask Toyota if this is an option, otherwise it's a trip to the local auto electrician to install a by pass switch.

I hope you get to figure this out. Let us know how you go.

All the best :thumbsup: