Idler pulleys

jave

Hi,

Today my mechanic and I replaced the belt tensioner and ONE idler pulley (above the crankshaft). Is there another idler pulley to replace?

Car: 2009 Toyota Aurion AT-X. Nothing special.

Engine is quiet now but old pulley may decide to be noisy in the future. Is the top idler pulley the same as the one below?

Jave.

There are two idler pullies as per the diagram. 

I haven't had to do mine, but I suspect the Idler pullies are the same. Tensioner pulley differ to the idler pulley.

I would've just done the whole lot while you were in there. Doesn't make sense changing one and not the other.

Here's a kit you can buy

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GATES-DRIVE-Belt-PULLEY-FOR-Toyota-Aurion-GSV40R-2006-2012-2GR-FE-3-5L-DOHC/302481777048?hash=item466d51a198:g:8aoAAOSwwPtcdmH5

1 - crankshaft 2 - tensioner pulley, 3 - water pump, 4 - idler pulley (opt.), 5 - power steering pump (opt.), 6 - the idler pulley, 7 - alternator, 8 - compressor.

2GR-FE_drive.png

Edited by Tony Prodigy
  • Thanks 1

Toyota did introduce an upgraded version of the idler pulley to address a squeaking noise issue with earlier versions of the 2GR-FE engine.

I have not had to replace the idler pulleys but I have re-lubricated them with silicone grease.

Toyota Squeaking noise from engine compartment.doc

15 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

There are two idler pullies as per the diagram. 

I haven't had to do mine, but I suspect the Idler pullies are the same. Tensioner pulley differ to the idler pulley.

I would've just done the whole lot while you were in there. Doesn't make sense changing one and not the other.

Here's a kit you can buy

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GATES-DRIVE-Belt-PULLEY-FOR-Toyota-Aurion-GSV40R-2006-2012-2GR-FE-3-5L-DOHC/302481777048?hash=item466d51a198:g:8aoAAOSwwPtcdmH5

1 - crankshaft 2 - tensioner pulley, 3 - water pump, 4 - idler pulley (opt.), 5 - power steering pump (opt.), 6 - the idler pulley, 7 - alternator, 8 - compressor.

2GR-FE_drive.png

Ok. Well, I forgot about the top pulley (6). At least it's in a reasonable position to get to. Will replace soon.

4 hours ago, campbeam said:

Toyota did introduce an upgraded version of the idler pulley to address a squeaking noise issue with earlier versions of the 2GR-FE engine.

I have not had to replace the idler pulleys but I have re-lubricated them with silicone grease.

Toyota Squeaking noise from engine compartment.doc 218.5 kB · 0 downloads

How did you regrease them? Did you "inject" grease into the bearing shield?

The following YouTube video shows how ro grease a sealed bearing.

After taking the tension off the serpentine belt, I removed both idler bearings then used a pick and a small bladed screwdriver to remove to remove the seal cover. I may have removed the cover on both sides packing the grease into one side and refitting the cover then doing the same on the other side. Next weekend I checked the bearings while they were still fitted and wiped them down to remove any surplus grease. Many months later when I had to replace the water pump, I had to remove the idler pulleys and the bearings checked out just fine. The tensioner pulley also had to be removed and I may have repacked that bearing. [Poor memory 😁] Anyway it was checked and determined that condition was fine with no need to buy a replacement.