Fuel consumption VX 2016 Prado

Dave F

Can ANYONE please tell me how to get more than 1200KM out of my 2016 VX Prado?  Because if you read the write up on the vehicle it actually said you should get a whopping 2000KM range out of your 150L tank. What a load of Bulls$&t. May be able to go anywhere but its fuel consumption is so bad. 

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

if you read the write up on the vehicle it actually said you should get a whopping 2000KM range out of your 150L tank. What a load of Bulls$&t.

I take reviews mostly with a grain of salt. If it sounds too good to be true then it mustn't be true. There is too much B.S around and looking to forums like this for real world analysis is always better.

The Prado is a heavy vehicle and it will not get good fuel economy compared to an Aurion for example. I think the best way to get the most out of it is to remember to keep the tyre pressures set correctly, don't carry unnecessary weight, keep it maintained well and try and be as light footed as possible.  

If you're having excessive consumption out of the expected range then I'd have the vehicle inspected. There could be a problem somewhere.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dave F said:

Can ANYONE please tell me how to get more than 1200KM out of my 2016 VX Prado?  Because if you read the write up on the vehicle it actually said you should get a whopping 2000KM range out of your 150L tank. What a load of Bulls$&t. May be able to go anywhere but its fuel consumption is so bad. 

Methinks you've read the range of the diesel model (which @ 7L/100k can get 2100k out of 150L) rather than the petrol (which is only rated at 9.4L/100k on the highway)...

1200km out of ~150L (call it 140L just so you're not draining the tanks absolutely dry) is 11.7L/100km, which is bang on the average combined economy for the 1GR petrol model.

10 hours ago, Hiro said:

Methinks you've read the range of the diesel model (which @ 7L/100k can get 2100k out of 150L) rather than the petrol (which is only rated at 9.4L/100k on the highway)...

1200km out of ~150L (call it 140L just so you're not draining the tanks absolutely dry) is 11.7L/100km, which is bang on the average combined economy for the 1GR petrol model.

You are right Hiro, it sits around there at 11.5L or 11.7L/100km. The lowest I have had it was about 9L/100km on open road on cruise control doing 120km. Obviously didn't last long as you get traffic eventually or bends and so on.  But our VX is diesel. Thank you for replying it puts my mind at ease a little.    

10 hours ago, Hiro said:

20 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I take reviews mostly with a grain of salt. If it sounds too good to be true then it mustn't be true. There is too much B.S around and looking to forums like this for real world analysis is always better.

The Prado is a heavy vehicle and it will not get good fuel economy compared to an Aurion for example. I think the best way to get the most out of it is to remember to keep the tyre pressures set correctly, don't carry unnecessary weight, keep it maintained well and try and be as light footed as possible.  

If you're having excessive consumption out of the expected range then I'd have the vehicle inspected. There could be a problem somewhere.

Thank you for replying Tony it puts my mind at ease a little.  

On 6/25/2021 at 6:55 AM, Dave F said:

You are right Hiro, it sits around there at 11.5L or 11.7L/100km. The lowest I have had it was about 9L/100km on open road on cruise control doing 120km. Obviously didn't last long as you get traffic eventually or bends and so on.  But our VX is diesel. Thank you for replying it puts my mind at ease a little.    

120km/h is probably killing your consumption.  Dropping down to 110 or 100 will make a big difference.  Any additions like bullbars, roof boxes, off-road tyres etc will also have an impact