2014 RAV 4 Resistance when setting off / whining noise

81rona

Our car is parked up, pretty close to home. My partner was stopped at a light, she accelerated to get going and and the car wouldn't and then it lurched forward, then it whined a bit as it got up to road speed. It seemed fine at road speed, but next time she slowed up for a roundabout the noise and resistance kept going so she pulled over. I moved it forward 2 car lengths, slowly I couldn't hear a noise, it feels like the handbrake is on?

No warning lights are on, the brakes didn't seem stuck, they where not overly hot.

As I'm writing this, i feel like its gearbox related but I'm after some advice to see if I can bring it home without doing more damage?

It's possible the transmission could be on the way out or the rear diff. I'd also check the uni joints while in there too.

When was the last time you did an auto trans service or diff ??

You could try driving down a stretch of road then put it neutral and see if the car slows dramatically and possibly be able to narrow down the source of the whine.