Underbody rust

Kris GXL

Hi guys

i bought a 200 series GXL 

it’s pretty clean but for a 2019 with 40k KM on the clock I noticed a fair bit of surface rust under the car - the previous owner siad he only went on the beach a couple of times 

should I be concerned 

should I treat 

how do I treat 

thanks Team 

2 hours ago, Kris GXL said:

the previous owner said he only went on the beach a couple of times 

Haha, that's code for, "I've driven it into the sea". Driving on the sand a "couple of times" shouldn't contribute to rusting of the underside. I'd say he's more than likely driven it on the shoreline and the sea water got in under it and he never bothered to wash it off when he got home. Salt water corrodes pretty quickly if you don't neutralize it. 

If you're able to get it high enough, give it a thorough pressure washer with some PH neutral car wash soap and it should be ok. If you're inclined after this, you can give it scrub on the more stubborn areas and spray it with some satin black rust paint.

Upload some photos if you can.

Yeah I’d say that’s what’s happened - I’ll take some photos and give you a squiz 

I was thinking about WD40 and a metal brush - I had the RACQ inspection before a bought it but it never got a mention - even though he flagged a slight cv boot problem which was easily addressed.

It’s Toyota that made me aware of the rust - they said for the age of the car it was excessive 

They weren’t overly concerned but just making the observation 

im concerned because he rust proofed the underbody and im thinking he was perhaps hiding something or worse trapping rust in 

18 hours ago, Kris GXL said:

im concerned because he rust proofed the underbody and im thinking he was perhaps hiding something or worse trapping rust in

In that case then, I'd try and remove as much of the proofing, treat it with a rust converter product and then re apply a good underbody sealant.

If you visit an automotive paint and panel beating supply shop near you, they will be able to guide you on what you need. Alternatively, you may have the procdure done at a panel shop if you're not in a position to tackle it yourself. 

The resale value of your car will depend on this. Don't let it go for too long because it will get worse.