The difference between ASV50 & ASV50R engine

JCEE80

Hi,

need to know the difference between Camry ASV50 and Camry ASV50R engine.

I know they are the same but need to know is there any difference in age such as is ASV50 an earlier model than a ASV50R.

I'm supposed to have a ASV50R in my car but it says ASV50.

had an accident and swear the repairer swapped my engine and RE STAMPED  2nd hand engine with same number.

shouldn’t my engine say ASV50R? Not ASV50..

Thanks,

13 hours ago, JCEE80 said:

I know they are the same but need to know is there any difference in age such as is ASV50 an earlier model than a ASV50R.

Hi Jason, as you said, they are the same. For the production years 2012-2017 they were all 50 series Camry's. They were either referred to as ASV50 or ASV50R. I'm not sure what the designation of the "R" refers to, but I can tell you it has nothing to do with the engine. All 50 series Camry came with the 2AR-FE engine, so you have nothing to worry about in terms of potentially getting an engine not meant for the 50 series chassis or earlier than your production year.

What I'd be more concerned about is the mileage of the replacement engine. It could have come from a 2012 model with low kays or a 2017 model with higher kays.

Just wondering though. How is it that you are unaware that your engine could've been replaced in the first instance ?
Surely this would've been mentioned. Are you absolutely certain the engine was replaced ? 
Was the accident damage so substantial that the engine was deemed irreparable ?

• Thanks 1

ASV50 is the code for the entire car, not the engine specifically.  In particular, the code breaks down like this

AR - engine code, referring to the AR engine family

XV - chassis code for the widebody series Camry (prior to 1993 it was just V)

However, Toyota in general only uses 3 letters to represent the combined engine and chassis codes, so ARXV gets condensed to ASV

5x - generation code, in this case referring to the 5th generation Camry (the number doesn't always match the actual generation as Toyota does skip numbers, for instance the 10x Corolla is actually the 7th generation)

x0 - model within that generation code - this will also usually determine which specific engine from the engine family is used

And finally, the R (outside of Japan, which uses the last letter to often signify body shape) simply means Right Hand Drive (and at the time, Toyota Australia was producing RHD Camrys for local consumption and LHD Camrys for export to the Middle East).  A lot of catalogues don't bother with the last letter (as it often doesn't make a difference)

And after that code will be the trim codes, such as -DETDKQ, with each letter denoting spec/options like drivetrain, body shape, trim/spec etc etc

In short, there is no such thing as an ASV50 engine, there is simply a 2AR-FE engine _from_ an ASV50.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You're a wealth of Knowledge Ian. Thanks for filling in the blanks. I could not find anywhere online what the "R" was meant to signify and you pretty much nailed it for us. Makes sense too. "R", right hand drive and because we used to manufacture them here anyway, there was no point to keep carrying the R as it was already understood.

I love deciphering manufacturer codes. The info you have is as good as the info you find online, but sometimes the online info can be wrong, hence drawing from the knowledge of others.

Top stuff :thumbsup: 

• Thanks 1

Thankyou guys so much for your help.

I have a photo of a “untouched Camry engine code showing from a screenshot of a 2014 Camry engine from YouTube.

I have put a pic of what they put in my car which I believe was machined and restamped.

I only had damage to bumper and no damage beyond radiator. Lower radiator assembly frame had to be replaced, not my whole engine stolen and swapped.

The first photo is untouched and the second has 3 bore holes showing.

these 3 holes are not showing on the original Camry engine but are exposed on my engine they replaced.

You can see it has been machined or grinded down and re stamped with original number to make it look like it’s the original motor.

Who knows how many kms this has done as I only had 60000 kms on mine originally.

I think these 3 holes on the engine are a security sort of thing and if the number has been grinded or milled off the holes are exposed which is proof the engine number has been removed or tampered with.

stamp is pretty fresh for a motor which has a huge amount of corrosion.

It seems most Camry models from 2012 on start with the number 2AR

1. This is an ORIGINAL CAMRY 14 with original number and bore holes covered. (Screenshot from YouTube- sorry it’s not that clear)

175B4FDE-401B-48EB-9B57-86E68C1FF16D.jpeg.6e7a60c9f307593925daacef2ef8c756.jpeg

2. This is the engine they put in & I believe it was machined down and re stamped to make it look original and match compliance code in passenger door. (As they removed 2 compliance plates from firewall and engine)

1B53D6DF-492C-4313-A9FF-FF5EBAA71C05.thumb.jpeg.3802c9b26e49bb46e8daa6137da9ee07.jpeg

This pic close up on iPhone looks like a fine pin head has gone over the original stamp..

They removed my whole engine and stole parts and replaced with rusted corroded parts and motor.

My Camry was one of the last made at Altona .

Edited by JCEE80
Re write sentence.

59 minutes ago, JCEE80 said:

I have a photo of a “untouched Camry engine code showing from a screenshot of a 2014 Camry engine from YouTube.

I have put a pic of what they put in my car which I believe was machined and restamped.

This is a tricky one, but the chances are pretty high that the you tube clip will show an engine block cast in the U.S. or some other non Australian market.

I'm pretty certain Australian made Toyotas of that era had the engine blocks cast in the Altona plant and will differ to others cast elsewhere.

The three holes are most likely just a normal part of the cast. You need to check a few more Camry engine blocks locally to determine this for sure. Go to a local Toyota used car lot and have a look.

1 hour ago, JCEE80 said:

You can see it has been machined or grinded down and re stamped with original number to make it look like it’s the original motor.

It seems very implausible for a busy shop would go to all that effort to machine the engine stamping plate and re stamp it, just to steal a few bits. it doesn't make any sense.
There are no stamps on the market to be able to do re stamp the engine number the original factory way, They simply don't exist. The way the factory stamp the numbers is a very unique process, one which the lay person can never replicate. It's done by a computer controlled robot with a fine pin head which shot peens the number onto the casting area.
Gone are the days of hand stamping using letter and number punches. Even then it was a crap shoot of trying to find the correct size and font to be able to stamp it even remotely close to factory without buggerizing it.

So I really doubt they went to all this trouble to try and steal some Camry bits. There is an over abundance of cheap Camry engine parts so this doesn't stack up.

Perhaps you are looking at your original engine number and may not remember the stamping condition. If you have a few good clear pictures of this prior to the accident to be able to compare then it's all academic at this stage.

To me, I think it looks legit. The "2AR" is a common stamping given to all Camry 2AR-FE engines. It's just a prefix. The engine number, however, not common, is a different font style and stamping process and gets done during the assembly process when the chassis it belongs to is on the assembly line.

The corrosion you also speak of looks consistent with age. There are blotches of corrosion all over the area in question coupled with grime so I would definitely say, the engine is original.

Can you upload a macro shot of the engine number. The one here isn't close enough to see the fine detail.

Have you confronted the shop and enquired if the engine was actually replaced ? I asked previously if the accident damage was that bad that the engine required replacement, was it that bad a damage ? Was the engine hit, cracked in any way ? If that was the case, then it would've been picked up in the insurance assessment and most likely been written off.

I think you're over thinking the situation and without concrete proof, there's no real way to make that determination to be honest.

• Thanks 2

Thankyou so much tony, but I definantly know the whole engine including back to the firewall has been changed to accomodate this engine. (It’s been a whole changeover)

He even told me he was waiting for the ENGINE CRADLE to be fitted, so I know it was removed…

its worth changing my whole engine and swapping it for a crappy rusted corroded $2000 engine, and using my engine to the next person who comes along needing a Camry engine. (& do the same to them, remove number restamp with their number & “hey presto” they got an engine with the same number)

it’s worth changing a engine with 60000kms on it for an older engine with a 100000kms on it.

They charged insurance over $11000..

Just remove my engine number and replace it with the persons original engine number and tell motor registration “you need to have permission to re stamp with owners same number due to accident.

Hey presto, they have a new engine for the new person and can charge insurance company.

I will try and have a look at another Camry it as I said the one on YouTube starts with the number 2AR same as mine here in aus but as I said the three holes should not be exposed unless it has been machined off.

I agree with you most videos are American but if that was the case it’s a bit coincidental the 2AR digits are written on mine as well as on the YouTube video. (I will check)

it maybe a legit reconditioned motor re stamped by a professional place but I know it has been changed for sure as I can tell by the grey glue around the head of the engine is severely deteriorated and is not rubbery but brittle.

This engine has been glued and taken apart a long time ago (you can tell by the gasket glue). My engine was as new, and never touched.

Its even missing coolant overflow tank I used to refill myself, so I know it’s not the same engine.

I never had any work done to my engine head so no glue should be GLOBBING” out the side.

I had 2 horns fitted at front of radiator, they replaced 1 and hidden the second connection plug in the bonnet opener clip where you open the bonnet.

my horn does not even work now & a original rusty horn from their engine  is connected under right passenger side near firewall.

I never had a horn there..

also engine mount parts are all rusty and not the same as I had.

why wouldn’t they use the nice parts that were originally in the car and why did they replace them with rusty parts?.

they even removed the compliance plates which shows the actual model of the engine.

these guys had my car for over 2 months.

Im trying to work out weather insurance gave them permission to replace my whole engine and get it legitimately re stamped.

I will go to motor registration to see if they have any record of new engine being put in and gave permission for a re stamp of the same number from a professional.

I just can’t work out why they did not replace the broken parts and keep all my nice new pieces instead they swapped the whole engine for a corroded one.

I don’t recall my engine being a 2AR but I remember the words ZZ in the code .(2zz-fe or something like that.)

it was written on the compliance plate (they removed) on firewall but without this it’s hard to find out. (Very convenient as I believe my original engine had the letters 2zz-fe??  in it not 2AR.

why remove a compliance plate with this crucial detail?.

There was no damage to the engine as I only hit a guard rail…

To me the picture of the original way a serial number should be on a Camry to how my pic looks showing the holes exposed is proof machining or grinding of number has taken place.

I will check out a car at a car yard.

I am contacting Toyota dealer to see if they still have photos of my engine when they advertised and sold my car to me..

This will be the proof I need.

Thanks tony..

Edited by JCEE80
Add to sentence

If I were you, I would seriously speak with your insurance company and express your concerns. There may be legitimate grounds for an investigation if the repairer has done shonky repairs. What you describe is a nightmare and if it all is for real then I'd be mad too. I am very fussy when it comes to my cars and I can feel your frustration. So by all means, talk to your insurance person and have them inspect the vehicle and then see if the repairer has some kind of history of complaints against them.

It's very difficult for us here to make any real determination without proof or photo evidence. I will take your word that something definitely is not right here.

So please, follow this up and let us know. Shonky repairers like this need to be exposed.

You been a real help tony as I just need some extra advice..

I know it’s had to prove but I also know that with compliance plates removed which would be nearly the only real proof of knowing (as the engine/vin numbers do match).

Thats why I have to check more Camry engine number at car yard somewhere.

If so it’s a MEGA scam and I have reported to insurance and lodged a complaint with AFCA.

Merry Xmas Tony,

Thanks..

If you were in Sydney, I would be more than happy to meet up and check it for myself. I used to be a panel beater/spray painter many years ago, so i know when something isn't right. 

Keep in touch and let us know what happens.

Have a Merry Christmas to you and your family mate.

Cheers :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2021 at 8:11 AM, JCEE80 said:

I don’t recall my engine being a 2AR but I remember the words ZZ in the code .(2zz-fe or something like that.)

it was written on the compliance plate (they removed) on firewall but without this it’s hard to find out. (Very convenient as I believe my original engine had the letters 2zz-fe??  in it not 2AR.

You're mis-remembering things - all Toyota engine numbers will always start with the engine block/series code (ie the first half, without the head/injection detail), and a 2ZZ is a completely different engine (never found in a Camry anywhere in the world, let alone Australia).  The engine number should also be recorded on your registration paperwork (I know it is in NSW) so if you have an old copy you can always check against that.

And most likely the engine cradle was dropped so that the front end could be adjusted on the alignment machine, since the cradle would have been attached to the lower radiator support panel and thus could affect the operation.  Or, also possible, is that the front of the cradle itself was damaged and thus needed replacement.

I'm not saying that something hasn't been swapped, but you're making a _lot_ of assumptions with only circumstancial evidence.  Things like missing coolant overflow bottles or horns (almost certainly damaged in the accident) definitely should have been replaced but don't imply a swapped engine.