Neal Bates changes teams

i was just watching RPM on channel 10 and they had a segment with Neal Bates where he revealed that he has changed teams

he is now a member of the TRD Team :D

he also revealed that they are working on a 4 wheel drive corolla and that will hopefully be out rallying by the end of the year

i cant find anything on the RPM site, so have a look tomorrow or later today to see if there is any updates and info about it

no change in teams, just a change in team name... I dare say the the 'Sportivo' brand will now become 'TRD' on th road cars too :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

was just watching that too !! ..

NA car too ...will be interesting ..

dunno about more sports versions for comsumers though ??

TEAM TRD !!!

it isn't a NA car, there is a new global S2 division of Rally... stands for SUPERCHARGED 2L.

it consists of supercharded 2L 4WD cars.... I wonder if they will wach a SC on the 3S-GE or stroke out a 2ZZ-GE

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

no change in teams, just a change in team name... I dare say the the 'Sportivo' brand will now become 'TRD' on th road cars too :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

was just watching that too !! ..

NA car too ...will be interesting ..

dunno about more sports versions for comsumers though ??

TEAM TRD !!!

it isn't a NA car, there is a new global S2 division of Rally... stands for SUPERCHARGED 2L.

it consists of supercharded 2L 4WD cars.... I wonder if they will wach a SC on the 3S-GE or stroke out a 2ZZ-GE

really ??

I thought I heard NA //???

need to get my ears checked

Isnt there a Lexus that runs a 2ltr engine? :P

the 1G-GE is a 2L inline 6cl engine, would make an interesting engine for rally though. it is already in a RWD platform. They obviously don't want to use this engine in a corolla though...

Isnt there a Lexus that runs a 2ltr engine? :P

the 1G-GE is a 2L inline 6cl engine, would make an interesting engine for rally though. it is already in a RWD platform. They obviously don't want to use this engine in a corolla though...

They have about as much torque as the 2ZZ. Need to rev them to really get them moving.Bit doughy low down.

S2 is short for Super 2000, which is a recently derived international category for n/a 2 litre cars.

Toyota run a Super 2000 team in South Africa, Bates was over there recently checking out their operations apparently.

Here's a link to a Toyota SA doc mentioning Super 2000: Toyota Motorsport SA

Some people want Super 2000 for the WRC, but I kinda like the current cars, the way they appear almost uncontrolable but the drivers manage to tame them. That's what top level motorsport should be in my opinion. :)

Edited by Buddha

seeing how they seem to dumb down the preformance cars we get here, maybe they will pull the 2Ltr out and give us the Corolla Compressor?............ :o

***starts selling mods and saving money*** :lol:

you're right Buddha

I heard the 'Super' part and got excited... 2L N/A it is

so 3S-GE it is that they will use, you can guarrentee that... unless there is some secret engine hidden away somewhere we don't know about

Even better news today, Toyota announcing that the TRD will go beyond the rally team, it is the name for their new HSV/FPV-ish hot-up shop, first project is the faster of the new Aurions, and other models such as Corolla and Hilux will also benefit, here's a link to an article about it:

TRD Announcement

like I said... 'Sportivo' will become 'TRD'

I wonder if this will mean Toyota as a whole might legitimise TRD components in Australia?

like I said... 'Sportivo' will become 'TRD'

I wonder if this will mean Toyota as a whole might legitimise TRD components in Australia?

Only Toyota Oz is dumb enough to not do that yonks ago considering how long TRD has been around and in overseas markets <_< Maybe all the TRD bits we all bought for the Stivo caught a few Toyota numbskull's eyeballs here..

i am assuming that the sportivo logo will stay on several cars, however TRD will bring out performance models as a separate company. similar to the Ford/FPV or Holden/HSV format, u can buy an XR8 from Ford, but the u can also buy a GT-P from FPV which has extra go fast bits and the like. so for example, i would say that u will be able to buy a corolla sportivo from toyota, but then "TRD" will bring out a TRD corolla with extra go fast bits, big brembo calipers and the like.

BTW the engine that will be used is the 4th generation 2ltr 3S-GE Beams engine used in Lexus IS200, similar to the engine used in the ST-184/204 celica's, but with Dual VVT-i and 197bhp. which means it is probably able to be turbocharged as well as the 3S-GTE was based off this platform too. sounds good to me guys :D

the Lexus IS-200 uses the 1G-GE engine, I'm sure you mean the RS-200 (ie Altezza) ;)

but if you are going to turbo, it's prob cheaper and easier to get a 4th gen 3S-GTE out of a Caldina Front cut and transplant it. The internals and electricals of the GE and the GTE are quite different.

haha yeah thats what i meant R not I

yeah the 4th gen one has a yamaha built head doesnt it? (hence the beams name)

im sure it will be much easier just to buy a 3s-GTE as well, but still it would be interesting to see if its possible to do so by lowering the compression ratio and what not. apparently its been done in the UK.

but i do know for sure that according to the engineers in Japan, there is no chance the 2ZZ will ever land in OZ again.

but i do know for sure that according to the engineers in Japan, there is no chance the 2ZZ will ever land in OZ again.

Except for those few in the back of some Lotus' ;)