The Future of Petrol Cars

S1LV3R

hi everyone,

just wanna know what you think about the future of petrol cars particularly since we all know that petrol prices are not getting lower and petrol engines are polluting the air that we're inhaling

and now we hear everywhere how companies/governments are already developing alternative fuels and engines/technologies so that they will no longer be dependant on oil

i mean, what will happen to our petrol cars (market value) when that day comes? and how much longer you think it is?

S1LV3R :)

i think it will take a long time... too many people are petrol car purists, and until they can provide the same power out of an alternative power source for the same price, petrol cars and their prices wont suffer all that much...

what im more scared about is the future of manual transmission... a few companies are going auto only, or the best you can get is tiptronic style shifting... thats lame.

I think the cars like the Camry Hybrid that is in the US will be the next breed for a few years. As much as I would love an Aurion v6 it just will not seem logical to haves something that uses more fuel.

As for value of our cars... anything that is 10 years old is worth zip to trade anyway. I knocked off 6 k off my car new from shopping around, so when they offer you 6k on a trade....be aware they are giving you stuff all for it.

It seems the Corolla is the perfect balance of safety, performance, price reliability at the moment except there are not the big car features like Cruise control as standard.

Oil companies want the monopoly so it seems we are slaves to them at the moment…… Whatever happened to the orbital engine, why are there not ethanol powered engines and distribution points ?

Oil companies want the monopoly so it seems we are slaves to them at the moment…… Whatever happened to the orbital engine, why are there not ethanol powered engines and distribution points ?

You answered your own question at the begining of your sentence. :D

yah, i agree with blue_rolla....it's not the fuel I really worry about...i'm not driving a v8....but can we still get manual say 30 years later?...on top of my memory, i think it's an option if you want manaul for a BMW M3...haha... :P

I think petrol engines will still be around for some time to come - there are still plenty of motorists out there who aren't keen on gas or diesel, and at current its really the only 'viable' alternative... as I guess there are those who are still skeptical of the whole hybrid ideal... especially in terms of the power they put out.

I definitely have to agree with blue_rolla though about the future of manual trans cars (sorry getting a bit off topic) - I was absolutely over the moon when I found my manual gen 3 camry (albeit it was $9500) as I wasnt having anything but a manual and wanted at least a medium sized sedan... and whoever it was that brought up the point about car manufacturers heading towards auto's is absolutely correct... I remember when my mum bought her Mazda 323 at the end of its production the first thing the dealer said to her was "Now that'll be an automatic" and Mums like "get stuffed.. manual!" and he was really surprised... I remember they actually had to request a car from Melb that was a manual so she could have a test drive.

I know Holden you have to get an SS or higher to get a manual which is pathetic and its heading the same way most other places... I love the idea of getting a second hand Aurion as my second car in 3-4 years time but not if its a tiptronic and not a real manual!

Edited by Tash

For my 2c worth, I have a current model Ateva, and I believe/hope it will be the last purely petrol powered car I own. The damage to the environment from human activity is too great for us to continue on the current course.

While my car I believe to be bulk average in terms of fuel consumption I have had a good hard look at what else I can do, so now I cycle to work and follow a nice path along the Brisbane River, it takes me apprx 35mins which is the same time it would have taken me in a car! It is a fantastic way to start and finish the horrid working day. I have lost a few kilos, and saving I estimate $200 a month in car related expenses. I was doing $60 a week in fuel I am now doign that a month! to say nothing of servicing. . .. .I still drive on weekends at times when traffic is not a concern I can enjoy my car and going nice places.

When you cut to the chase the real problem is perhaps not the cars themselves but the concept of suburbia. Peope wanting their 1/4 acre bit of the Aussie dream and living stupid distances from where they work with little in the way of public transport.

The initial post on this thread also sighted the concern of the value of petrol powered cars in a world of higher gas prices. I would suggest that the value of the car is not as much of a concern as the value of realestate that is not in close proximity to places where people work.

Short of there being another needless war I believe prices of fuel will continue a natuarl climb and there will be a reaction in the value of realestate as people are forced to adjust. Cars will I believe become more of a recrreational thing rather than commuting devices.

I might add that I am probably one of your 'Petrol Purists' however I am always keen to jump on board with a nice environmentally friendly alternative, yet it does have to be something that is also suitable to my needs.

The power/performance issue is something that really needs to be addressed. While most people may think that this is not an issue, it is.

Other than the fun in driving my Corolla Sportivo, the one thing I really appreciate with it is the fact that if I am cruising down the road, and I have to give the Right-Pedal a stab to get out of a hairy pickle, it reacts and performs...

About 18months ago, part of my job involved looking after a fleet of cars for a Government Department. As we have all heard before, Governments saying they are working with Car Manufacturers to produce viable alternatives, yet they are not 100% suitable to EVERYONE's needs...

With the fleet of Cars I was looking after, I got onto the end of an order with the Government fleet supplier to obtain a Toyota Prius.

Feature wise, nice car. Sat Nav, comfy seats, nice all reound car to drive and really not a bar car to look at either.

HOWEVER - The problem with this Hybrid vehicle from our favoured automotive supplier is two-fold....

Firstly, if I can get on average 500km of fuel for the week in general driving conditions on a standard Corolla (Ascent/Conquest), this costs on average $60.00 odd. The Toyota Prius (according to the fuel usage reports from work) are getting around 1000km from the same $60.00 tank. This means the fuel economy is pretty much twice as good as a Corolla... Considering the car is up to $18,000 more expensive that the mum & dad spec Corolla, do we really get better value for money. If you only need to spend $60.00 per week on fuel once a fortnight instead of once a week, then this means that you save $60.00 per week for half the year (cause your filling up half as much) - total $1560.00. Over 5 years, this is only $7800.00. Even if you kept the Prius for 10 years, this is still only $15600.00, hardly a viable alternative in my opinion.

Secondly, the configuration of the Prius engine has it that when you are sitting at a set of lights, the car kicks into electric mode, then when you accellerate, it starts in electric mode, then kicks into petrol mode after the EMs detects that power is required. Often this takes a few seconds to react. Not exactly a real good feature.

As I said, these alternitives need to be viable. If you a person that doesn't care what you spend to save fuel and environmental impact then maybe a Prius is for you. But being a young married no kids couple trying to save as much money as we can, and turning over cars at 4 year intervals, I'd rather save money over the 4 year period not 14 years...and also driving peak hour to work each day, I need something that is going to go when I ask it to, not have to send a message to its EMS to see if it's allowed to first.

Maybe a suitable alternative is Brisbane City Council and Queensland Government supplying a suitable Public Transport system from my side of town, then I wont need my car....

Just my 2 cents worth :) Have a nice day

Aaron

You both bring up interesting points - for me in regards public transport if it wasnt so crappy in regional Vic i would use it to get around, however as it stands I drive 5 mins to uni there and back daily (weekdays) because its uphill (so cannot walk/ride due to heaviness of bag - not great neck/back at times)... so perhaps more emphasis needs to be placed on improving other alternatives to driving as well as making driving cleaner.

As for the fuel point Im incredibly happy with my 4cyl Gen-3... I use a quarter of a tank every week and a half and I do an absolute crapload of around town driving... so for $20 odd every week and a bit Im happy... All i care about is having a manual lol

Edited by Tash

You both bring up interesting points - for me in regards public transport if it wasnt so crappy in regional Vic i would use it to get around, however as it stands I drive 5 mins to uni there and back daily (weekdays) because its uphill (so cannot walk/ride due to heaviness of bag - not great neck/back at times)... so perhaps more emphasis needs to be placed on improving other alternatives to driving as well as making driving cleaner.

As for the fuel point Im incredibly happy with my 4cyl Gen-3... I use a quarter of a tank every week and a half and I do an absolute crapload of around town driving... so for $20 odd every week and a bit Im happy... All i care about is having a manual lol

5 minutes to uni?......i'll walk ya there and back....and carry your stuff for you....

:P

Hahah that'd be nice u54mot, although knowing crazy Bendigo drivers we'd probably be run over on the walk there!!