2011 Aurion Presara - DRLs

presara11

Hey all,

I bought some DRLs that replaces the casing of my fog lights.

I had a read through the Australian Design Rule (ADR) 13/00: Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 13/00 – Installation of Lighting and Light Signalling Devices on other than L-Group Vehicles) 2005 (legislation.gov.au

In it, it states the following:

If a direction-indicator lamp is reciprocally incorporated with a daytime running lamp, the electrical connections of the daytime running lamp on the relevant side of the vehicle shall be such that the daytime running lamp is switched OFF during the entire period (both ON and OFF cycle) of activation of the direction-indicator lamp.

Just wanted to clarify that that means DRLs can't be used as turn signals as well? If so, then no dramas since I can just skip wiring the turn signal wires on the DRLs (and tuck them away).

Just wondering how you could use a DRL as a turn signal anyway because it's white and not amber. 

Also, isn't the fog light housing too low for a DRL to be effective? 

Maybe I'm not understanding your question. 

Like some modern cars of today, when the DRL & turn signal are 1 unit, as soon as you flick the indicator stalk left or right the DRL switches off to clearly announce the indicator lamp. Once the indicator stalk it flicked off the DRL should turn back on.

5 hours ago, Jacaranda said:

Just wondering how you could use a DRL as a turn signal anyway because it's white and not amber. 

Also, isn't the fog light housing too low for a DRL to be effective? 

Maybe I'm not understanding your question. 

Ah, so the ones I bought has extra wiring that can change the light from white to amber (or has another bulb).

As for the location, the brightness of the DRLs might compensate for it.

16 minutes ago, ZZT86 said:

Like some modern cars of today, when the DRL & turn signal are 1 unit, as soon as you flick the indicator stalk left or right the DRL switches off to clearly announce the indicator lamp. Once the indicator stalk it flicked off the DRL should turn back on.

Yes, and I think I'm getting that one clause now if I'm thinking correctly. I should be fine since the unit I bought works as both DRL (white) and turn signal (amber) lights given that I wire it properly.

It won't interfere or compete with the normal low beam headlights and turn signals.

The white to amber and back is referred to as switch backs. White LED is on then when indicator is activated the colours changes to amber, but it much flash as an indicator not stay static. When turn signal is deactivated the colour switches back to white.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to be clear, are they fog or driving lights in the lower area of the front bumper? Or are they the same thing? 

I only switch them on when driving on unlit expressways to illuminate the white lines. 

I'm confused. Your question was for DRL's. They are not fog or driving lights. DRL interprets as daytime running lights, meant to highlight your car to be more easily seen by other drivers for safety when driving in daylight hours. 

Sorry I didn't phrase that very well. 

I know what DRLs are but the thread was about using the fog light housings for DRLs which are surely too low to be effective?

And then I was asking if the existing lights in the lower area are actually fog lights or driving lights. 😊