White smoke 💨 on every start

Nrupen

Hi there recently bought a used 2009 kluger 130000 kms. So the issue is it blows very heavy white smoke while staring and middle of the drive when we accelerate  suddenly Thinking of changing valve cover and the oil tray underneath. Please help in solving this issue 

I think you will find that the PCV valve needs to be cleaned or replaced, at the very least. I am also expecting that the engine has lots of oil sludge due to inadequate oil changes etc. Quick test is to temporarily remove the PCV valve from the valve cover. Leave the PCV valve still connected to the vacuum hose but block it by wrapping some tape around the end. Expect white smoke on this initial start up due to oil vapour having been previously sucked into the intake. There should be no white smoke after this 1st start up.

Strongly recommend removing the valve cover and giving it a thorough clean especially the channel drain area around the PCV opening. I would not be surprised if you also find plenty of oil sludge accumulated in the camshafts and valves. Remove/scrape off as much of this oil sludge as possible. Assuming that the engine oil is well used, drain and replace with approx. 5-6 litres of diesel fuel to help flush any loose oil sludge. Idle engine for approx. 10 minutes. Drain and repeat the flushing with another lot of new diesel. Advantage of this approach instead of a commercial flush product is that it reduces the risk of the oil pick up getting clogged. Finally time for a new oil filter cartridge and new engine oil.

Plan upon doing another oil and filter change in say 1000 kms. Then next one at say 2000 kms or when the oil colour becomes darker before becoming black. Eventually work towards an oil change interval of 6 months/5000 kms whichever comes 1st.

Using the above approach, I did not remove the engine oil pan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted 22nd June 2022 pictures of the oil sludge in the valve train and the cleaned front valve cover of my 2GR-FE engine. Thinking of removing the valve cover after Boxing Day to check to see whether the valve train and valve cover are now a lot cleaner after 18 months.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 9:15 PM, campbeam said:

I think you will find that the PCV valve needs to be cleaned or replaced, at the very least. I am also expecting that the engine has lots of oil sludge due to inadequate oil changes etc. Quick test is to temporarily remove the PCV valve from the valve cover. Leave the PCV valve still connected to the vacuum hose but block it by wrapping some tape around the end. Expect white smoke on this initial start up due to oil vapour having been previously sucked into the intake. There should be no white smoke after this 1st start up.

Strongly recommend removing the valve cover and giving it a thorough clean especially the channel drain area around the PCV opening. I would not be surprised if you also find plenty of oil sludge accumulated in the camshafts and valves. Remove/scrape off as much of this oil sludge as possible. Assuming that the engine oil is well used, drain and replace with approx. 5-6 litres of diesel fuel to help flush any loose oil sludge. Idle engine for approx. 10 minutes. Drain and repeat the flushing with another lot of new diesel. Advantage of this approach instead of a commercial flush product is that it reduces the risk of the oil pick up getting clogged. Finally time for a new oil filter cartridge and new engine oil.

Plan upon doing another oil and filter change in say 1000 kms. Then next one at say 2000 kms or when the oil colour becomes darker before becoming black. Eventually work towards an oil change interval of 6 months/5000 kms whichever comes 1st.

Using the above approach, I did not remove the engine oil pan.

Hi campbeam thanks for ur full detailed explanation, I have already tried cleaning the PCV and replaced it with new one but still the smoke is there. Will try the diesel flush, my concern is, is it good to use diesel in a Petrol engine.please have a look of the valve cover and engine.

IMG_8321.jpeg

IMG_8322.jpeg

8 hours ago, Nrupen said:

Will try the diesel flush, my concern is, is it good to use diesel in a Petrol engine.please have a look of the valve cover and engine.

I have been using diesel as engine flushing oil since the 70's. More specifically, I have been using diesel as an engine flushing oil in my Aurion's engine for the past 8 years. Remember to IDLE the engine so no revving of the engine or driving the car. Suggested idle time is 10 minutes, presumably enough time to get the diesel warmer and help loosen/dissolve the oil sludge. If you want to take a more cautious approach then reduce the idle time and possibly also add a litre of cheap engine oil to the diesel.

Your engine has a nice accumulation of oil sludge but I think mine would have been worse when I purchased at 165,000kms on the odometer and blowing smoke on start up. Latest odometer reading was 266,400kms when I did an engine flush and oil change last weekend.

• Thanks 1

I also persisted for many years with shortened oil change intervals to remove the engine sludge before I finally removed the valve cover for a thorough cleansing. I had no issues with white smoke on start up during the last road trip.

However, I am still using a shorter oil change interval because most of my daily driving is short distance.

Hi campbeam, it’s day 3 since I have flushed my engine with diesel and absolutely no smoke now, Thank you so much.. and iam planning to do another flush after 1000 kms what do you think? Is it safe 

11 hours ago, Nrupen said:

Hi campbeam, it’s day 3 since I have flushed my engine with diesel and absolutely no smoke now, Thank you so much.. and iam planning to do another flush after 1000 kms what do you think? Is it safe 

Great result from your OWN EFFORTS being on the right track to remove and clean the valve cover. As you would have discovered, know what you are doing for the valve cover removal and then the re-assembly.

Most certainly plan upon checking the colour of the engine oil and also the oil filter cartridge after 1000 kms.

I would be anticipating a dark black colour indicating that the engine oil is well contaminated and also oil sludge particles in the oil filter cartridge. If that is indeed the case for your engine, then I would be inclined to do another engine flush with diesel and new engine oil and filter cartridge. 

If the engine oil is a light golden colour, then maybe plan upon check in 500 kms or so.

My personal preference is to change the engine oil before it becomes a black colour.

• Like 1

Hi campbeam, hope everything is good with you, I’m here for another solution, today suddenly the engine light and car wheel skidding both lights came up while I was driving, but there was no difficulty in driving went to mechanic directly he said it could be the plugs or else oxygen sensor,he said first we change the plugs and see weather that fix’s the problem or we need to change oxygen sensor, please have the look of the codes came up in the computer and lights.

IMG_8382.thumb.jpeg.ebd27b181cf82a266fdcb50967491586.jpegIMG_8383.thumb.jpeg.18ff2c3c852c136b87061bf3b6c84ac9.jpeg

I am sure that I have previously encountered this error code. In my case, I removed and cleaned the O2 sensors.

I do not recall using a catalytic converter cleaning product but it may be worth a try.

https://autobarn.com.au/ab/Autobarn-Category/Shop-our-Full-Range-by-Brand-at-Autobarn/Penrite/Penrite-Pro-Series-EGR-%26-CAT-Clean-500mL---PSECC0005/p/OA05141

Following URL shows some potential causes for the P0420 code.

https://www.kbb.com/obd-ii/p0420/

Personally, I have some reservations that changing the spark plugs will be the solution. However, if the spark plugs have not been previously replaced and they have done 130,000 kms, certainly to be considered but maybe at a later date after 160,000 kms assuming that they are long life iridium plugs.

https://www.densoautoparts.com/spark-plugs-iridium-long-life/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi campbeam, hope you are doing good There is a issue again with my kluger I observed that my radiator fan is not working I think I could be relay I have ordered it, waiting to get that. And my AC blows hot air is that fan connected to AC in any manner. What is your take on it.

thank u.

Others may definitely know but I believe that there are 2 fans in the radiator shroud. One is to assist cool the radiator and the other is to assist cool the air conditioner condensor located in front of the radiator. I suspect that the relay unit relates to both of these fans. If so, that would explain why the A/C is not as effective.

Definitely check the settings of the A/C controls in the cabin to confirm it is on maximum cooling.

I got the new relay and installed it, still the fan is not working , and inside all the A/C controls are on maximum cooling.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi campbeam,

hope all good with you,

My Kluger radiator fan is not kicking on when connected to Temperature sensor it turns on when disconnected what would be the problem????

thank u

On 12/10/2023 at 2:20 AM, Nrupen said:

Hi campbeam thanks for ur full detailed explanation, I have already tried cleaning the PCV and replaced it with new one but still the smoke is there. Will try the diesel flush, my concern is, is it good to use diesel in a Petrol engine.please have a look of the valve cover and engine.

IMG_8321.jpeg

IMG_8322.jpeg

Not as bad as some, but still pretty bad. I suspect this car was serviced as per the stupid log book service interval of 15k plus. 

Long service intervals introduce complacency and the tendency to go over what is already a high enough and way overdue oil service. You can tell by the darkness in there.

That PCV would've been choked with sludge. It can be recovered with a decent clean or simply replace it.

Glad to hear it's better now. I'd be interested to see what colour your oil is after 5k.
Can you report back at a later stage with that ?

8 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Not as bad as some, but still pretty bad. I suspect this car was serviced as per the stupid log book service interval of 15k plus. 

Long service intervals introduce complacency and the tendency to go over what is already a high enough and way overdue oil service. You can tell by the darkness in there.

That PCV would've been choked with sludge. It can be recovered with a decent clean or simply replace it.

Glad to hear it's better now. I'd be interested to see what colour your oil is after 5k.
Can you report back at a later stage with that ?

Hi There ,

Can you help out with fixing my radiator fan,

it doesn’t kicks in when it is connected to the Temperature Sensor if I disconnect i have my engine light on but the fan stars running I changed the relay also.

can you tell me what is the problem.

Are you saying that the fan will work when the temp sensor is disconnected ?

Have you tested the temp sensor ? It's possibly faulty. The relay is not the issue. Relays rarely fail.

Did the engine overheat previously or perhaps it's just not getting to temperature to engage the fan.
If the engine has been overheating, I would replace the temp sensor then have someone plug a diagnostic tool into the OBII port and view error codes.

The ECU could also be responsible.

Edited by Tony Prodigy
  • Confused 1

Yeah the fans starts when the temperature sensor is disconnected.

i got the new temperature sensor even though it’s the same.

engine is overheating but the heat gauge will be in the centre.