Filter and oil recommendations for 1996 Toyota vienta

ASHX

Hey guy,

I recently purchased a 1996 toyota vienta (3vzfe) and I'm planning on giving it a service. 

Do you guys have any recommendations for oils and filters? I'm thinking of getting a 10w-30 oil for it as in melb rn it gets pretty hot, I'm still deciding of what brand of oil and oil filter to use, and I can't find any info on cabin filter.

Was wondering what you guys run with, cheers.

As a general recommendation, use a quality known brand engine oil and a full synthetic oil of the recommended viscosity for your engine. I usually buy whatever is on special so it is mainly Penrite, Nulon and Gulf Western which are all Australian companies. I can recommend Shell Ultra which has given me excellent results with combating oil sludge build up.

Anecdotal evidence from many different internet sources is regularly validating the old school approach of regular oil and filter changes every 5,000 kms or 6 months. Depending upon your engine condition, driving conditions etc. with a good quality synthetic oil consider extending to 7.500 kms. Definitely change your oil before it becomes a black colour.

Genuine oil filters are the safest option. However, I am using cheaper [supposedly] OEM filters recommended to be changed every 5,000 kms.

• Like 1

Thanks for answering, for the oil the owner's manual suggests 10w-30 all the way up to 20w-50. I found castol gtx 20w-50 grade for 50$ so I might use that, as for the oil filter I can't find toyota genuine ones in my area and don't want to wait for it to get shipped. I'm thinking of using K&N although I have no idea if they are good or not. 

Edited by ASHX

15 hours ago, ASHX said:

Thanks for answering, for the oil the owner's manual suggests 10w-30 all the way up to 20w-50. I found castol gtx 20w-50 grade for 50$ so I might use that, as for the oil filter I can't find toyota genuine ones in my area and don't want to wait for it to get shipped. I'm thinking of using K&N although I have no idea if they are good or not. 

For the oil filter just go with a normal Ryco one, never had a problem with them on Toyotas and they're readily available at Supercheap etc.