2010 AURION PRESARA - RELACEMENT OF FAULTY AUDIO SYSTEM.

My 2010 Presara has a non functional audio system. 

The DVD SatNav transport has seized and has taken out the screen, reversing camera, and all audio including the 4 stacker CD.

Toyota advised me to go to a well known car audio company as the audio unit is not replaceable by Toyota, and I have done so.

The quote for a Pioneer replacement (non blue tooth but 2x USB ports) is $1400 installed.

I'll wear that even knowing that they're charging full retail for the unit, but an extra unknown has left me very unsure re the deal.

The company says that the Presara has a power amplifier positioned under one of the front seats, and they don't know if it will be compatible with the unit their installing !!???

This apparently may cost me an additional $300 - $1000 !!

Has any one else been through this situation where:

* An audio company doesn't know what the power amplifier is, or how much its going to cost me.

* I'm supposed to wear an unknown additional cost of possibly between $300 - $1000 !!

* Is this scenario factual or possibly a con?

Any light members can shed on this will be much appreciated thanks.

Rob Davey.

Hi Rob,

Why not try a wrecker? They may have a unit from a wreck, which would be a direct replacement.

Herb.

Hi Robert, Mate I would suggest you shop around.

I replaced our head unit through Monster Audio who did the install with the proper harness for all steering wheel functions and no issue whatsoever with the amp.

So even a few phone calls to other reputable audio places explain what your after and see what deal they can offer.

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes as far as head units, for me it was more music quality and ease of updates for the sat/nav system.

The other option is to do as Herb suggested and see if a wrecker has a unit available, I would use that as a last option as finding a unit that has everything you need and installing it yourself will be required.

If you do wish to stay with a stock system let me know as I still have our head-unit from our 2009 Presara which when removed worked fine with the sat/nav DVD still in it.

KAA 

Thanks guys. (Herb and Robert).

Fair suggestion Herb re getting a replacement from a wreckers.

To be honest, the car has only done 90K kms and I don't intend getting rid of it for a while, so I don't mind upgrading the unit. 

It's the power amp situation that I'm not happy with.

I've installed car audio in the past, but I'm put off by the tech required for the Presara.

As Robert suggested, I'll ring around companies and put them on the spot re the power amplifier situation. Should be interesting.

Cheers guys.