Prang..

Ok.. Here it goes.

Going to work this arvo.. I got onto the hwy (leach hwy for perthians) and was driving alongside this 4 tonne delivery truck, just driving normally.. Futher down the road I see this moron in a trailer backing out on the hwy.. YES, BACKING OUT.. I was like wtf is this idiot doing!? Backing out onto a hwy where cars are going at 80km/h! So I slow down ahead making sure I can stop in time if I happen to get there and he's still trying to straighten up. Some how he managed to get onto the left lane while I was on the right (truck is next to me on the left) So by the time I got closer, the trailer was just accelerating away..

Then the truck next to me decides that he doesnt want to slow down and cuts into my lane (no signals whatsoever, just turns) At that point before he turns I was just around the mid section of his truck.. Obviously after he trys to turn, he began squeezing me into my own lane! Where the hell else can I go since I'm in the right lane.. So I tried to brake as hard as I can while trying to inch as much as I can away from him and towards the curb while horning at him in hopes he'll turn back into his own lane.. I started feeling the scraping and I guess that was as far as I could go without goin up the curb. Just before he clears me, I hear a BANG, and off comes my left mirror. At that point I was just hoping it was the mirror and a tad bit of scrap off the rims.

At least he had the decency of signaling to get on the road shoulder to sort things out after the prang.. Exchanged details and headed off.. What ****** me off was that my work place was only a couple of turnings away!

Okay.. So now it comes to insurance claims. After I explained exactly what happened. It most likely is the truckers fault am I correct? He did admit it was his fault at that point. I've never had to go to insurance companies for stuff like that so I dont know the exact proceedures so could you guys help me out?

Would my premiums and excess be raised due to this? I'm still on P's so my excess is already pretty damn high as it is..

If you've got his details, you'll just need to go to your insurance company and tell them what happen and let them sort it out for you. It definitely sounds like it's his fault and it's probably not his truck anyway and he'll let his insurance pay out for the damage.

Just give your insurance company a call and ask them.

Wow you live pretty close to me, I live in Leeming.

Have you got a white stivo an exhaust mod and new rims? Or is that another sportivo I keep seeing around....

I'll be starting a rolla club up in perth soon.... so many rollas around we all have to meet together.

I just learnt from my dad that I'm not insured under the policy.. I'm just a nominated driver (i'm not exactly clear about this, but I just saw my dad and mum's name in the policy). But anyway, my dad told me it won't be wise to call up my insurance company and tell them about it..

I'm at a loss here... I'm getting lectured for a friggin accident I didnt cause and my dad is telling me I can't go and call up my insurance company. So wtf did he get insurance in the first place when I'm the only one driving the car!

Wow you live pretty close to me, I live in Leeming.

Have you got a white stivo an exhaust mod and new rims? Or is that another sportivo I keep seeing around....

I'll be starting a rolla club up in perth soon.... so many rollas around we all have to meet together.

Nah, its definately not me.. Mines a silver one and I live in south perth. I've seen this white one parked outside the perth zoo quite a few times as well..

I just learnt from my dad that I'm not insured under the policy.. I'm just a nominated driver (i'm not exactly clear about this, but I just saw my dad and mum's name in the policy). But anyway, my dad told me it won't be wise to call up my insurance company and tell them about it..

I'm at a loss here... I'm getting lectured for a friggin accident I didnt cause and my dad is telling me I can't go and call up my insurance company. So wtf did he get insurance in the first place when I'm the only one driving the car!

Well, unless your dad wants to pay for the damage to the car, he can just say that he was the one driving it. Besides, nominated drivers are covered by insurance as well, if you're under 25 it may mean that the excess that you pay may be higher but that's it. The insurance for the car covers whoever that is driving it unless your dad told them that there'll be no under 25 driving it.

He prolly got the insurance under his name cos it's cheaper due to his age and rating. If you had gotten it, it may have been a lot more expensive. I had insurance under my dad before and there were no problems with claims etc.

Since it's his fault (or sounds like it), you're still entitled to civil action even if you're not insured. It's just that normally your insurance company handles everything for you, so it's way more of a pain going through small claims.

Most companies still cover non-nominated drivers, just the excess is way higher (probably with the exception of someone saying no one under 25 will drive it, and you're under 25). However, if it's not-at-fault accident, then there should be no excess (there should be no charge at all in fact), so it shouldn't make any difference.

That's the way I beleive it to be with my insurer anyway (NRMA), your mileage may vary. I had some run into me last year in my dad's old car (totally his fault) and NRMA were great, even though I wasn't a nominated driver. They just asked me where I'd like it fixed, then I just had to drop it off and pick it up.. didn't have to fill out anything. Didn't cost me a cent, or change my premiums.

Cheers,

- Matthew

Since the accident was not your fault I would still take it to task. Remember you can still drive the car but if more than 12 times a year then you only have to be named on the policy.....I hope you are getting then hint....

Agree with all the guys. If u r just a nominated driver it still means ur covered under the policy. It just means the excess will b the normal excess + the under 25 excess usually this is around $800-$1000 all up, but that depends on ur insurance company.

Also aslong as the insurance company finds that the other guy is at fault i dont think they affect ur no claim bonus or ur premium but again i think this is up 2 ur company.

I had an issue like this with my local council after only having the car for 2 days :( :( . 1 of the guys that cuts the grass on those tractors sprayed my car with chunks of tarmac. He gave me his details n told me to call the council. I ring the insurance company 1st and asked for advise but i didnt make a claim as they wanted me to pay my excess n then if they proved it wasnt my fault they would refund it. They indicated i could go after the council on my own if i wanted. So thats what i chose to do. This way nothing would be on my record for making a claim even though it wasnt my fault.

Anyway i rang the council and told them what had happened n they told me to put it all in writting + 3 quotes and send it to them.

I wrote them a letter which detailed:

Exactly what happened

Then i put a picture from a street directory and marked the spot where the incident occured

Then i put in some pictures of the damage on my car

Then i included the 3 quotes.

Here is a link where u can see a sample of what i wrote. I pulled out all the stuff thats specific to me. http://members.optusnet.com.au/stivo/sample_letter.zip

Plus i provided the quotes.

Anyway all in all it took 3 weeks n i had a cheque for the damage. By the way the pictures dont express the extent of the damage all up it was $900 as the chips where dents as well.

Hope it helps

Cheers

Bill

Far out.. Those slight dents and paint chips cost $900..

I think the cost of repairs for mine arent gonna be any cheaper than 3 grand for the panel beating alone and probably another 1k for the respray and 1k for the rims.. :o

I agree Totally with Xoom.

I am in the process of making a claim from the other Insurance company, not my Insurance comany.

The best thing to do Mee is to call the truck company and try and get their Insurance company details so U can give them a call. Also try and get their policy number as they will ask for it. U may also get the Truck company to call their Insurance company as well. The Insurance company will get you to write a letter explaining exactly what happened and may ask for some proof. Take some photos of the damage just in case. Then U'll have to go and get a couple of quotes from at least 2 Panel beaters and send it off to the Insurance comany. In a few days or weeks you'll get the cheque from them depands on how fast the process it.

I'm going through exactly the same thing as you guys at the moment. My car got hit by an automatic gate that closed by itself as I was driving through. Scraped the back of my car. I called my Insurance company GIO and explained to them and was told that I would be charged an excess fee of $450 and lose 20% no claim bonus.

If it's not your fault then the other Insurance company should pay for it so there is no need to contact your Insurance company at all. The only time that you contact your Insurance company is when you are going to make a claim through them. It doesn't matter who is driving the car at the time because it was the truck driver's fault. Everything must go through their Insurance company.

Hope this info will help you out.

Seems like a lot of Stivos are getting into accidents lately. It must be this time of the year or something...or maybe the Stivos are jinxed... :lol:

Cheers mate.. that help a lot :D

Addressed every point that I was thinkin about.. So the panel beaters I go to are of my choice? What about the damaged mags? OEM stivo ones are like 1.1k with turanza rubber.. Both front and back mags are damaged :( How do I get the mags replaced?

Ok.. Here it goes.

Going to work this arvo.. I got onto the hwy (leach hwy for perthians) and was driving alongside this 4 tonne delivery truck, just driving normally.. Futher down the road I see this moron in a trailer backing out on the hwy.. YES, BACKING OUT.. I was like wtf is this idiot doing!? Backing out onto a hwy where cars are going at 80km/h! So I slow down ahead making sure I can stop in time if I happen to get there and he's still trying to straighten up. Some how he managed to get onto the left lane while I was on the right (truck is next to me on the left) So by the time I got closer, the trailer was just accelerating away..

Then the truck next to me decides that he doesnt want to slow down and cuts into my lane (no signals whatsoever, just turns) At that point before he turns I was just around the mid section of his truck.. Obviously after he trys to turn, he began squeezing me into my own lane! Where the hell else can I go since I'm in the right lane.. So I tried to brake as hard as I can while trying to inch as much as I can away from him and towards the curb while horning at him in hopes he'll turn back into his own lane.. I started feeling the scraping and I guess that was as far as I could go without goin up the curb. Just before he clears me, I hear a BANG, and off comes my left mirror. At that point I was just hoping it was the mirror and a tad bit of scrap off the rims.

At least he had the decency of signaling to get on the road shoulder to sort things out after the prang.. Exchanged details and headed off.. What ****** me off was that my work place was only a couple of turnings away!

Okay.. So now it comes to insurance claims. After I explained exactly what happened. It most likely is the truckers fault am I correct? He did admit it was his fault at that point. I've never had to go to insurance companies for stuff like that so I dont know the exact proceedures so could you guys help me out?

Would my premiums and excess be raised due to this? I'm still on P's so my excess is already pretty damn high as it is..

sorry to hear about it mate, so many negligent drivers out there you gotta be aware of! i also had a prang but with a animal.

all the best!

good to see another p plater around!

What about the damaged mags? OEM stivo ones are like 1.1k with turanza rubber.. Both front and back mags are damaged  How do I get the mags replaced

About the wheels....I would go to Toyota and get a quote from them and send that off to the Insurance company. Take a few photos of the damaged wheels as proof. They might send out an assessor to assess the damages as well.

Goodluck mate! :)