Australian Toyota Camry Revealed

u54mot

:( sad how we're not getting the V6 Camry

go the aurion though B)

work i heard from one of the engineers at toyota is the V6 WILL be seen in the Sportivo by next March and "it's really beautiful". He also called it 'exquisite' and 'sophisticated'.

Don't know if something called a 'Sportivo' should be described like that, but the V6 is supposed to be a monster, performance-wise.

:( sad how we're not getting the V6 Camry

go the aurion though B)

work i heard from one of the engineers at toyota is the V6 WILL be seen in the Sportivo by next March and "it's really beautiful". He also called it 'exquisite' and 'sophisticated'.

Don't know if something called a 'Sportivo' should be described like that, but the V6 is supposed to be a monster, performance-wise.

The Aurion IS a Camry with a facelift and taillift. It is the same car. Other panels and dimensions are exactly the same. Only minor changes to the dashboard.

The V6 will not appear in a Camry, only in the facelifted Camry(aka Aurion). The TRD Aurion will be launched in April 2007 with 220kW, supercharged, starting life as an Aurion Sportivo, then modified with bolt on bits. No AWD, only FWD. Burnouts galore with 19" wheels !

Edited by toyrex

Have they addressed the transmission issue yet?? I emailed Toyota Australia about the Aurion and they said they couldn't tell me because they didn't know - I've still got a slight hope that there will be a manual V6, although it looks increasingly doubtful! Anybody got any more news re transmission?

Edited by Tash

I'm pretty sure that there will be a performance Camry model. But I have a hunch that it could be a turbocharged 4cylinder, as in the Toyota Sportivo Concept. Or, they might just strap in the V6 and not supercharge it. But then whats the point int that.

As with the Carsguide article......

Aurion Forum Article

i would say there is no chance of the Aurion coming with a manual transmission

The engine that will be in the Aurion is a 2GR-FE.

This engine is applied to the following vehicles around the world:

2006 Toyota Avalon

2006 Toyota RAV4 V6

2007 Toyota Camry V6

2007 Lexus ES 350

2007 Lexus RX 350

(The 2GR-FE is a 3.5 L (3456 cc) version. Bore remains at 94 mm but stroke is reduced to 83 mm. Output is approximately 268 hp (200 kW) at 6200 rpm with 248 ft.lbf (336 Nm) of torque at 4700 rpm. This version features Toyota's "dual-VVT-i", variable valve timing on both the intake and exhaust cams)

A derivative of the above engine is the 2GR-FSE and is applied to the following vehicles:

2006 Toyota Crown Athlete (Japan)

2006 Lexus GS 350 (Japan)

2006 Lexus GS 450h

2006 Lexus IS 350 (Japan and United States)

(The 2GR-FSE engine used in the 2006 Lexus IS 350 incorporates Toyota's D4-S twin injection system. This system combines gasoline direct injection with traditional port injection. Using direct injection and port injection simultaneously facilitates more precise mixing of air and fuel under low and medium load conditions for greater efficiency, while high load conditions dictate the use of direct injection alone for maximum power. The 2GR-FE engine is rated at 315 hp (232 kW) at 6400 rpm and 377 Nm (277 ft.lbf) at 4800 rpm.)

The above desciptions were taken from Wikipedia

Toyota GR Engines(Wikipedia)

Of all the above cars with the above engines none have been developed with a manual transmission, so it is very unlikely that Toyota Australia would develop a manual transmission to mate with the 2GR-FE.

Edited by u54mot

Grr... Won't be getting a next gen camry or aurion then :( I cant stand this new age of car developing where manual transmission has fallen by the wayside.. it just absolutely sucks! I will be turning to another company for a manual V6 sedan then for my next car in a couple years.

I don’t think manual cars can take the great increase in power and torque these days. As cars are heavier and have more powerful engines across the rev range the strain on old school Manuals is too much and the cost to develop a manual is too great. :unsure:

Yeah good point - it still sucks though! I'm not concerned about having a manual with a whole heck of a lot of power, I just want a V6 manual for next car and was looking forward to making that a Toyota. Holden/Ford have big monsters with manual transmission and they sell... Ahh well!

Yeah good point - it still sucks though! I'm not concerned about having a manual with a whole heck of a lot of power, I just want a V6 manual for next car and was looking forward to making that a Toyota. Holden/Ford have big monsters with manual transmission and they sell... Ahh well!

Lexus IS200's are going cheap now. Just like a Toyota, only shinier hahaha ;)

I'm pretty sure that there will be a performance Camry model. But I have a hunch that it could be a turbocharged 4cylinder, as in the Toyota Sportivo Concept. Or, they might just strap in the V6 and not supercharge it. But then whats the point int that.

I can assure you that there won't be a turbocharged Camry 2.4l. This is the first time that Toyota Australia is having some design input into a car from Japan, ie. the Aurion, and even with loads of help from Japan, they are already at their wits end, let alone design another Turbo 2.4.

There will be a 3.5 Sportivo though, although I doubt you can really call it a "Concept".

As for the reason for not for having a manual V6, let's just say it is more "economical" making them all autos.

I can assure you that there won't be a turbocharged Camry 2.4l. This is the first time that Toyota Australia is having some design input into a car from Japan, ie. the Aurion, and even with loads of help from Japan, they are already at their wits end, let alone design another Turbo 2.4.

There will be a 3.5 Sportivo though, although I doubt you can really call it a "Concept".

As for the reason for not for having a manual V6, let's just say it is more "economical" making them all autos.

I dunno. I still think an EG Vti Civic will beat it hands down.

If Mitsubishi, Holden & Ford can continue making manuals in a sedan with a bit of grunt (not to mention many other companies) then I don't see why Toyota can't... anyway I'll stop harping on about it, but its still not good enough. Still a very nice looking car though :)

If Mitsubishi, Holden & Ford can continue making manuals in a sedan with a bit of grunt (not to mention many other companies) then I don't see why Toyota can't... anyway I'll stop harping on about it, but its still not good enough. Still a very nice looking car though :)

Lexus IS200. They are a manual or auto box I'm sure of it. Cheap now as well.

Remember Tash...'Just like a Toyota only shhiiiinneeyyyy and bling bling ;)'