More Audio Help

Tivo Matt

OK guys, first off i HAVE searched quite a bit, but because audio is such a personal thing and everyone has different things they are after, i am starting a new thread.

All i am after are some opinions on what i should go for in my audio upgrade.

I'll start off with what i currently have:

My HU is a Pioneer AVH-P5750DVD

The rest is stock! haha :lol:

Now for what i am after:

I want a sub, but i don't need a massive sub pumping out too much power... so something smallish and low powered.

Ultimately i would like to stick with one 4 channel amp and have 2 channels bridged running my sub and the other two powering some new front splits and the stock rears running off the headunit. (thats possible right?)

Soooo to summarise i need:

A 4ch amp powerful enough to run the new front splits and the sub

A smallish sub (and box).

A set of splits

-------------------------

I was thinking something along the lines of:

Amp: Still can't decide will the Alpine MRV-F345 do the job for the below?

Sub: Alpine Type S SWS1222D - (do you think this will suit my needs?)

Splits: Was thinking Alpine Type R SPR-17LS ?

I'm not 100% sure on my audio stuff, so any replies would be good.

Cheers,

Sounds good to me. Those 17LS splits sound mighty clean when coupled with the MRV series amps.

The SWR-1222D are only going for $199 now and are a great all-around sub. About the same price as the SWS-1222D? Go for the R, what have you got to lose? There's always the extra 150watt RMS whenever you need it ;)

Sounds good to me. Those 17LS splits sound mighty clean when coupled with the MRV series amps.

The SWR-1222D are only going for $199 now. About the same price as the SWS-1222D? Go for the R, what have you got to lose? There's always the extra 150watt RMS whenever you need it ;)

Cheers dude.

Do you or anyone else, know of anywhere in Sydney to pick up Alpine gear at a good price? I'd be looking for somewhere around the Hills district ultimately?

Just an update to this -

I went ahead and got everything i mentioned above. Had some fun installing everything (hardest thing was finding somewhere to mount the tweeters as the Type R's wouldn't fit in the stock position, so i pretty much mounted them through the existing tweeter covers. Hard to describe, but i am happy with how they look. The other drama i had was that the mounting positions on the type R woofers were slightly smaller than the existing mounting plate for the tivo, so the bolts and washers were pretty much useless as they were, so i just added a slightly larger plastic washer under it which done the job. (not sure why everyone mentions drilling out the pop rivets? It isn't really necessary if you are going to reuse that mounting plate as you can just remove the four screws holding the speaker in position and pull it out.

Ummm what else, oh the amp is installed on the underside of the flooring in the boot. Not sure how it will go in there heat wise, but it should be ok considering most people install them under their seats. The amp fits perfectly under there and is well and truely out of the way (which means i can leave the cables looking messy for now ;). I was hoping for a slightly smaller sub box than what i got, but it didn't look very big when i saw it, then i put it in the car and realised how silly i was being. Oh well sounds pretty sweet and its actually more about the depth of it rather than the width so still got enough space for the smallish **** that ii carry.

Will add some photos later of everything. Also ran the AV cable in for my Nomad Zen Vision:m which works sweetly - Damn i love the vision:m!!!

Downside of the install, only two - I ran the battery flat (well flat enough that it wouldn't start despite everything still working :P) and the second being that i managed to knock a bulb free (i think from the cigarette lighter or something) and now i have a bright light at the feet of the passenger whenever i turn the headlights on! Oh well... job for another day!

Anyways all in all, it sounds awesome now and there are no noticeable rattles so i am happy.

Well you can probably find a better price as i didn't look very hard but here is approx what i paid:

Alpine Type S Sub: $169

Alpine Type R Splits: $295

Alpine V12 F345 Amp: $475

Sub Box - No idea.... standard sub box price?

As i said, you can probably do better than that if you shop around a bit... but i was kind of in a hurry and those prices were all under RRP so i just grabbed them whilst i could ;)

Cheers,