blue_rolla's toy: 1973 KE20

blue_rolla

I went halves in this car with a friend for $100 each. The car came running and in excellent mechanical condition. The paint was a bit dodgy and it was dirty inside and out... about 3 weeks later, the paint has been cut right back, to show some lovely light lemon colour. we've cleaned and vacuumed the inside as much as humanly possible, and it doesnt seem too bad now...

anyway here's the specs:

Year: 1973

Model: Toyota Corolla KE20

Odometer: I'm not sure - it only goes up to 99,999, and thats in miles...

Engine: 3K-C 1200cc :D

There's a few things that have to be done, including rebuilding the diff, getting some new seats, and fixing up some rust... but all the work that needs to be done is relatively cheap... im going to have a shot at doing the diff myself. i have all the new parts i need...

the car came with so many spare parts i can't even list them... to name some:

- whole other block and head (a 3K-H, which is a little crapper than the crap 3K-C :P)

- front disc brake setup

- front right shock/spring setup

- carburetor

- fuel pump

- water pump

- ETC

anyway my garage is full of KE20 parts, so that will be fun playing with them all for the next uni semester...

The part you've all been dying for:

DSC00431.jpg

that was before i cut the paint back, and she's received a new mirror since then and a whole lotta TLC...

stay tuned for more pics and info when i work out which direction she's going :P

and they are soooo expensive... 4a-gte will do just nicely :)

... speaking of which... im in the middle of taking the rear axle off... do you know how hard that is? i was assuming it would be a bunch of bolts and whatever and it would all pretty much come apart with a bit of time and effort...

its been almost 5 hours, and all ive managed to do is get the handbrake cables out, and undo the flange on the diff... im stuck at the brake lines... i dont have the right sized spanner and my adjustable is so useless... and i didnt factor in brake fluid, so ill have to go buy some more and work out how to get that back into the system... lame.

• 1 month later...

well i have updates!! UPDATES!!!

... over the weekend i managed to remove the old gearbox and install a 5 speed... i was having trouble with the old one - it was making some crazy high pitched noise in second... so i bought another box...

upon opening the crap box, turns out there was a whole tooth missing from 2nd, and it was just filthy inside... the new one is spotless - its amazing.

i didnt get any pics of the gearbox removal process... but take my word for it - its not easy... but if i can do it with a socket set, it cant be thaaaat hard... anyway she drives again!!!

... ive also managed to source a car with a FWD 4A-GE for next to FREE!! as well as engine mounts for a 4A block on the toymods forum, and a T50 gearbox to go behind the 4A... so in about $300 time i should have most of the parts to do the conversion... HOW CHEAP IS THAT!!!

ive been filling in the dents and fixing up the rust... there's hardly any rust to speak of, just a bit down in the front left fender and just below the drivers window... the rest of the rust had been fixed by the previous owner, but even that was only a tiny bit...

uumm... what else... yeah so the dents are filled and primed... a bit more sanding to do, then its paint time. i bought a can of bright canary yellow paint, so thats what colour its going...

im really excited about this, and ive managed to get some ridiculously cheap parts... still im sure there'll be some expensive complications in the engine swap...

oh and i used a dremel tool to cut a new hole in the tunnel to fit the gearbox... do you know how crap a dremel tool is to cut into car? far out.

ok... ill upload some pics in a jiffy...

• 3 weeks later...

alrighty ladies and gentlemen... its time for an update...

today is painting day...

we spent the morning doing the final preparations to get the body ready, sanding some filler back etc... and then this arvo, painting began...

here's the pics:

MAKESHIFT PAINTING BOOTH:

DSC00943.jpg

DSC00944.jpg

DSC00945.jpg

DSC00947.jpg

DSC00946.jpg

im done for the day... tomorrow the back half will be primed... and then maybe next weekend ill start the actual colour... :)