iPod and USB adapters for Stock Head Units

doddsy

Hi,

Yes I am new here and yes I don't own a toyota. I have an adapter in my posession from China which allows you to connect an ipod to a factory toyota stereo and control and charge the ipod directly from the stereo. I have seen these devices fitted to current model Mazdas and they work great an even let you have video out to an LCD screen from an iPod video.

Unfortunately I can't get out of the manufacturer exactly what models of toyota it fits, except that its for the Fujitsu-Ten stereo and that its for the new Corolla. Now a 95 Camry has a Fujitsu-Ten put I would think that that stereo is too old, so what I am after is two people willing to try out this adapter in Melbourne.

If you have a stereo that looks like this

http://pics.dodds.com.au/main.php?g2_itemId=64

or this

http://pics.dodds.com.au/main.php?g2_itemId=71and live in Melbourne, could you please PM me or email peter@dodds.com.au with your details.

If the testing is successful then these adapters should be on sale in Australia for between $150 and $170.

Regards

Peter.

First pic's deck is also in the Gen2 Rav4's if that helps you out. But I didn't think it had any auxillary ports in it.

Thanks, the unit also fits the camry, echo, corolla and prado as they use the same head unit.

I would be interested in trying this unit, but I am in Canberra.

Any chance you would post it up for me to test?

The only issue is that I need to see it working as well, thanks for the offer though. Looks like I might have to hire a corolla and test it on that.

• 2 weeks later...

I would be interested in trying this unit, but I am in Canberra.

Any chance you would post it up for me to test?

The only issue is that I need to see it working as well, thanks for the offer though. Looks like I might have to hire a corolla and test it on that.

Well thanks to an unknowing hire car company we can confirm that we have a working ipod solution for 2005/2006 Toyota Corolla, Echo, Prado, Rav4 and 2005 Camry. The ipod can be controlled by the track up and track down on the stereo, playlists can be selected with the disc buttons and the ipod charges off the head unit.

and....

Is it limited to iPod as I have a Sony 20gb MP3 walkman...

Currently using the old CD - Tape style adapter

Well there is a version that has a USB connector that allows you to take any USB mass storage device and read MP3's off it. Normally people use 2 & 4GB flash drives with it but I have connected a 40GB HDD to one and been able to play the MP3's from it.

how is this going to work when the stock headunit has no aux/cd changer inputs.....

still waiting for an answer to the obvious question.....

Well I just took a stock stereo out of a 2005 corolla to write up some installation instructions and at the back there was four molex sockets, one for power/acc/ground, one for speaker wires and two extra sockets. The second socket from the left is the auxillary cd changer port, this is where the iPod adapter plugs into. you can see it here in this picture.

The only secret I can see here is what the left hand socket is used for.

Stock pre-Mp3 compatatle head units only have 3 plugs, the 3rd un-used and unsure what it is for, however and this is yet to be proven, I believe it may be for remote steering wheel controls.

Stock pre-Mp3 compatatle head units only have 3 plugs, the 3rd un-used and unsure what it is for, however and this is yet to be proven, I believe it may be for remote steering wheel controls.

How many pins does it have? It could be the CD-Changer port if it has 2 rows of 6 pins.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

So is it confirmed that the adapter would work with the pre-MP3 unit ? (03 sportivo)

I wish i could check out the pinouts but miles and miles away from my car. (London at the moment), so im not much of help.

I believe that Northy is right about adapters like the one doddsy's selling only work with units with a cd changer input.

Any how doddsy if you can show it works with the pre-MP3 unit, im definately interested to get one, once i get back to sydney.

Should be the same cause I understand that the ouput plugs of both headunits are the same (at least they were in JC's MP3 HU and my non MP3 unit)

Hi guys,

So would this work with a '05 Sportivo with the OEM MP3 headunit??

Yes they do work with with the MP3 unit as that is the one I got to test it on. It would be wrong for me to advertise these on this forum and I did start this thread to find either Melbourne owners willing to allow me to test it or other stock head units to test. But if you want sales information they are on ebay or PM me more info.

What I have been able to find is that the following US models have head units with an external CD changer

1998-2006 Mr2 / Celica

1998-2006 4 Runner

1998-2006 Avalon

1998-2006 Camry

1998-2006 Solara

1998-2006 Corolla / Echo

2001-2006 Highlander

1998-2001 Land Cruiser

2005-2006 Matrix

1998-2006 Rav4

1998-2006 Sequoia / Tundra

1998-2006 Sienna

1998-2006 Tacoma

http://www.dension.com/icelink_comp.htm has a list of Toyota models that are compatible with their system and they also use the CD changer port on the factory stereo.

Edited by doddsy

Hi guys,

So would this work with a '05 Sportivo with the OEM MP3 headunit??

Yes they do work with with the MP3 unit as that is the one I got to test it on. It would be wrong for me to advertise these on this forum and I did start this thread to find either Melbourne owners willing to allow me to test it or other stock head units to test. But if you want sales information they are on ebay or PM me more info.

What I have been able to find is that the following US models have head units with an external CD changer

1998-2006 Mr2 / Celica

1998-2006 4 Runner

1998-2006 Avalon

1998-2006 Camry

1998-2006 Solara

1998-2006 Corolla / Echo

2001-2006 Highlander

1998-2001 Land Cruiser

2005-2006 Matrix

1998-2006 Rav4

1998-2006 Sequoia / Tundra

1998-2006 Sienna

1998-2006 Tacoma

http://www.dension.com/icelink_comp.htm has a list of Toyota models that are compatible with their system and they also use the CD changer port on the factory stereo.

I think they're the U.S Corollas. Do they have the same headunit as ours?