plastic/content of stivo bars..

Just curious to know, dunno if any of you know but.... what is the type of material that the standard front bar/ rear bumper bar is made of?

Is it a form of Poly vinyal chloride (pvc), unplasticized poly vinyal choride (upvc), polypropylene (PP-r), polybuttlene (PE),..

cheers lol if ur curious to know why i know what they are? well im a plumber :P

Hi Mike

i'm actually curious. what type of material is it? will epoxy bond to it properly. the reason i ask is i'm thinking about repairing some minor front damage myself. the blood suckers want $750 for a new bumper. <_<

im not sure either thats why i asked champ. because i tried some arildite(epoxy resin and hardener) to repair a bracket on my grille but didnt bond..

by the way ive already my replaced my front bar

Paid $200 for a genuine front bar ;)

www.ozeparts.com.au.. sign up and u get a members discount!

for $200 its not particually worth the fuss.. :P

Having worked for a company that painted plastic bumpers for Australian auto industry I can tell you that the vast majority of bumpers on new cars are made of polypropylene (PP). I have no reason to beileve that the corolla/sportivo bumpers are any different.

This being the case if you want to do a repair to a bracket the best option is to heat the plastic (not too hot or it will burn) and just push/weld it back together.

03MikeSportivo you mentioned the grill, these are usually made from ABS (acrylate butal styrene or something like that) but can also be welded just by heating up.

By the way PE isn't polybuttlene it is polyethylene, sorry to be a smart **** ;)

Hope that helps.

thanks guys. i might try the heating thing. i'll take the bumper off and see if i can do it myself. can't hurt. if i stuff it up, i'll just go the smash repair route.

Cheers

qkslvr i have a front bar factory painted ink. it is in melbourne. you can buy it if you want a front bar without the trouble of getting it colour coded. it was removed from a sportivo.

sorry for my oversight. black front bar on silver would look strange :lol:

i guess a member in melbourne can help you buy the bar from ozeparts then get it colour coded for around $300. things in melbourne are often cheaper. but then freight to sydney for a bulky package is a lot. make a day trip and come visit us!

Hey guys

The bumper is made from PP (polypropylene). You'd be looking at a wall section of around 2.5mm on the Corolla bumpers. More to the point, the Corolla bumper material would be specifically moulded from a TMC designed compound called TSOP-6.

& yes the grilles are made from ABS, usually its a special platable compound designed to get the best results for chrome plating.