Sportivo factory front door panel speakers

Hi Guys,

I have just noticed that my passengers front door panel speaker is giving off a bit of distortion when

bass hits the speaker.

Im guessing it's the speaker cone but im not sure if this can be fixed or if it needs to be replaced.

The car is just over 1 year old and I find it hard to believe that the speaker has already given up

on me when the factory system hardly gets cranked i.e. go over the 30 volume setting on the factory head unit!!!!

I was hoping to get some feedback as perhaps it could be just a matter for me to take off the door panel and have a look at the speaker itself as it could be just the wiring.

Cheers all

:)

you should be able to replace them but if you want some good advice buy a pair of two way or three ways like pioneer ,same price and sound better.Ive got all my stock speakers changed with pioneers and a 12 inch sub with only the sub running off an amp and it sounds crystal clear and loud.You can get good 6 and a half inchers for about 50 buks

Just buy a set of 6- 6.5 inch splits (spend at least 200 bux). You will have to buy and/or make spacers since the factory spacers will not fit an aftermarket speaker. I found that after a few weeks the doors started to rattle more, so I would advice getting sound deadening in the front doors too (i.e. Stinger Road Kill)

I found that after a few weeks the doors started to rattle more, so I would advice getting sound deadening in the front doors too (i.e. Stinger Road Kill)

I think that this will most likely be your problem. Try pushing against the speaker grill whist having your stereo cranked & see if it still appears to distort / rattle.

Still there's never a bad time to put bigger & better speakers into your car B)

Edited by snakesau

My pasenger door is rattling too with heavier bass - I was advised to either put in sound deadner or go for upgrade speakers (with sound deadner too).

Depends on yer budget and whether you wanna go upgrade or just replace existing stock....

Like 'snakesau' says..."never a bad time". Once I've saved the coin, I'm goin upgrade for sure....issue solved !

Edited by MOZZ-ROLLA

First of all, test the speaker at a lower volume with a non bassy track and see if it stills distorts. If it does, then I am afraid your speaker has pooped itself.

To double check this, play a slightly bassier track and wait for the distortion, then use your fader/balancer to test the individual speakers cuase it is unlikeley that they all/both went at the same time.

If they are OK, then get your toosh down to your local Jaycar store and buy some small capacitors. Icant tink off the top of my head what uF (micrfarad) to get, but you want to cut the frequency at around 5000hz

Should not be too expensive, and way cheaper than new speakers....

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions guys. :D

To be honest this is the first time i have ever heard about small capacitors.

I didnt even know they existed!

I will do another brief test on the speakers.

It is only my left hand side front passenger do that is causing the slight bass distortion.

All other speakers are fine.

Do you guys know if its easy enough to take off the door trim to get to the speaker

and to then possibly add the small capacitor or new speakers?

I dont want to force anything out nor brake anything in the process! B)

Cheers

If you're certain the speaker has given up the ghost, I'd try to get it replaced under warranty if the car's only a year old.

If it isn't dead, then I'd take off the door card and check to see everything is tight and not loose. You might as well go about sound deadening the doors if the cards are off. Personally I'd go for Dynamat; it's the best in the business for good reason. However I have used Sound-Off and that is also very good and much cheaper. The sheets of either are easy to use.

If you decide you need new speakers, I honestly wouldn't spend $200 on some 2 or 3-ways. Waste of money. But if you don't wantto go to the effort of installing atweeter somewhere you might as well get the Response 6" 2-ways from Jaycar; awesome value at $120. Splits are a much more desirable option, though. Go to Jaycar and buy some Response 6.5" Kevlar cone splits; the best $150 you'll ever spend on a stock stereo (apart from sound deadening). They sound as good and even better than splits worth $200-$300. I had to spend $900 to get better sounding speakers than them, the Response speakers truly are that good.