acceleration pedal problem

b01ng

hey everyone,

there seems to be a problem with my acceleration pedal, i dont know if its rust or whatever, but when i step down on it, it tends to get stuck. hmm kinda hard to explain. but ive tried spraying wd40 where the hinges are, but it doesnt really help. its not much of a big problem or anything, its just kinda annoying when i accelerate at the lights or something, cause i have to step down harder than normal to get it to go down, and when it does, it makes me look silly cause the car jerks.

hey everyone,

there seems to be a problem with my acceleration pedal, i dont know if its rust or whatever, but when i step down on it, it tends to get stuck. hmm kinda hard to explain. but ive tried spraying wd40 where the hinges are, but it doesnt really help. its not much of a big problem or anything, its just kinda annoying when i accelerate at the lights or something, cause i have to step down harder than normal to get it to go down, and when it does, it makes me look silly cause the car jerks.

You sure it's a pedal problem and not a throttle problem? Try opening the throttle by hand in the engine bay, see if it's sticking there. If so, the pedal is most likely fine and you've got a sticky throttle. Otherwise, check that the cable is sliding freely, and that the cable is firmly attached to the pedal.

hey everyone,

I had a similar problem when i first got my 05 Stivo.

Yea check the throttle body...i've got cruise control n thought it was that but i took the car to the Toyota Techies n they jus cleaned out the the throttle body n the stickiness went away.

I used to have to do a sorta tap and step thing to get the car goin...was an annoyin yet funny sorta two step dancin thing! :lol:

if you have after market cruise it can be a problem (I think Cruise can be a big issue) if no crusie if might have just slipped over the guides or be a bit stiff.

my 1990 camry unhooked from the guide so the beads got caught on the outside of the guide (near the electronic sensors at the end of the cable). Check it out as you done want to get caught with throttle in go mode.

hey everyone,

I had a similar problem when i first got my 05 Stivo.

Yea check the throttle body...i've got cruise control n thought it was that but i took the car to the Toyota Techies n they jus cleaned out the the throttle body n the stickiness went away.

I used to have to do a sorta tap and step thing to get the car goin...was an annoyin yet funny sorta two step dancin thing! :lol:

thanks for that! that really helped, hehe yeah the tap thingy is annoying.

• 3 years later...

I'm having this problem with my 04 Rolla wagon ... can someone explain how to clean the throttle body?

My way of cleaning the throttle body (while on the car) is to hold the throttle body open (cable throttle makes it way easy) and then spraying the throttle body cleaner thoroughly over the inner surface of the throttle body. Then using a soft clean cloth, wipe down the inside of the throttle body and butterfly, spraying more TB cleaner as required. Once everything is all looking clean as far as you can see, connect your filter/pipework back up and go start your engine. You will probably have to open the throttle a little when starting and it may hesitate for a bit. Once it starts, just give it a rev or two then you can feel free to turn it off.

hey everyone,

Sometimes the floor mat may interfear with the accelerator pedal. People use thick rubber mats or ill-fitting mats which obsruct the pedal and you maynot be able to speed the car.

K8Canb

• 2 weeks later...