Advancing Lift

NIKICH

Has anyone inquired about advancing the lift on the Sportivo? Like we have all this power coming in at 6000 rpm. What if it was to come in at say 5000 rpm, that would mean we would have almost 3000 rpm of lift. I would love to see the faces of the ppl that are getting left for dead.

No offence to ppl that have put exhaust and stuff like that advancing the timing would prove to be a greater performance booster i think, tell me if im wrong please.

Some1 like MRT or those other performance places in sydney would have had a play around with 1 by now wouldnt they?

There is not real gains from advancing lift in the 2ZZ, this has been discussed at length in many celica forums. Unlike the VTEC where aftermarket controlls are plenty, There have been many unsuccessful attempt at advancing lift for any performance gains..

I believe i read somewhere TRD japan has come up with a controller but refused to sell it to TRD America and so it has stayed in Japan an not really avaliable to the general public...

however in the just recent Bathurst PRoduction car races,the celica racing team, explained how they used a motek management system to advance the timing i think....and thats one of the best success stories ive heard so far...

But they put 10s of 1000s of dollars into their 7th gens for race mods so im sure it wasnt cheap..

This is an old topic, and nobody ever has an answer to the question asked. The engine is maxed out, if Lift was to kick in earlier, the engine would be under some serious stress. I'm sure the engineers at Toyota did what they did for a reason. And besides, it's more fun like this, and it tests your driving skills. The simple answer is, IF YOU WANT A 4 BANGA CAR TO MODIFY DONT GET A N/A, GET a TURBO. Cheaper and easier to get horses out. End of Story. peace.

lucio_libre: damn man! heheh....not entirely true.

i know a 4banger n/a that can can up and sometimes beat turbos...and i'm NOT kidding. he's got the 1/4 run slips to prove it.

all i'm saying is....with a N/A engine...you modify it DIFFERENTLY.

cams, port and polish....we dont' have forced induction..thus we do things differently...

the VTEC controller from what i've heard can also control the VVTL-i.

mmmkay?

lucio_libre: damn man! heheh....not entirely true.

i know a 4banger n/a that can can up and sometimes beat turbos...and i'm NOT kidding. he's got the 1/4 run slips to prove it.

all i'm saying is....with a N/A engine...you modify it DIFFERENTLY.

cams, port and polish....we dont' have forced induction..thus we do things differently...

the VTEC controller from what i've heard can also control the VVTL-i.

mmmkay?

;) i know that too man, i'm not saying it's not possible, but i'd hate to see how much money he spent.

With an N/A engine u need to think outside the square. From what i have bounced around with mates, it could be adjusted but it would be trial and error, may ping the engine and blow it while trialling the mods, that why i was wondering if any1 has heard about one of the performance places may have done the mod and got the specs. Or another idea was suping up the bottom CAM to get some extra beef down low.

I've always wondered about this too and have read somewhere that it is mechanically controlled, however that being said there should be some adjustments that you could make (mechanically) to get it to kick in earlier unless if it was controlled by the computer.

Check out these guys, they claim to increase the sportivo from 141 to 155 Kws by swapping over the computer.

PowerChip

I like the sound of that. I would like to see the actual performance gain b4 i forked out that kind of money. Also as the car is new we all have warrenties that we have to consider, but i do like the sound of and extra 15 kws.

I enquired about the Chip about 6 months ago, and they keep bugging me. For 2 grand, there is no way in hell im doing it. And ive asked around for extractors, and you cant get anything under $1500, and they are very rare. Im sticking to basic parts, these engines are pretty much tuned up in my opinion. Anything more would cost alot and wouldnt be worth the cost anyway. Thats just my opinion. Sparkplugs, oil filters, CAI, and exhaust, maybe some pulley's and thats about it for me.

reading more and more on their website...

they even have guarantees and warranties and supporting evidence that it DOES not void your warranty.

Sounds good.....

anyone contemplating on it?

I actually would consider it after 3 years when the warranty runs out but would do it in stages. I would get either a CAI or panel filter, followed by stainless steel muffler, then the computer upgrade.

I won't be changing extractors because I think they make the engine bay look **** particularly if they are just chrome painted mild steel ones where the chrome paint peels off after a few weeks due to heat. Stainless steel ones are a different story though.

Be carefull about powerchip!

These are the guys that have been stuffing peekay34 around for months. They actually had his car for many days trying to do the computer but couldn't.

Ask Peekay about his experience so far and you might think different.

If Toyota finds out you have played with your computer you can kiss your warranty goodbye. It does not matter what the other guy says.

TRD in Japan does have a replacement modified chip and a couple of mechanical items to bring the lift in approx 5300 - 5400rpm. I think it was around $8,000 - $10,000. It was designed for people building 1/4 mile cars. I read about it somewhere on the web. :D

Thanx for the advise!!!! All i did was read the info pack and from what a few guys have said at work, u can detune the motor and end up losing power. Also u are completly right about the warrenty, if they are going to take over the warrenty fair enough, but all they say is that toyota cant say ****, which is bull****, U snap a gearbox or pushrod or anything however minor, they will say thanx for coming but ur car is modified and u voided ur warranty.

they only void warantee on the parts that could b effects by the modification. so lets say u mod the ecu, and ur mirror falls off, they will fix that. :lol:

what im thinking of doing is buying all the trd equiptment and making it the quikest stivo around. get 200kw i recon.

the trd stuff im talking about is the pistons, exhast, filter, flywheel, etc...

itll cost a sht load to get the pistons changed, and while ur there might as well port and polish..... but then it will really get going, will have to spend on wider rubber too :D

do u think they will void warantee if u change the pistons even tho they r trd pistons?

btw they raise the compression to 13:1 :lol::lol:

when i was talking to my local toyota the guy said 'yeh we will honour wantentee, no worries'. so if i decide to get it done ill get a salesmen to tell me if u can, and ill get his name and do it, then if i got into ne **** i can tell them that this guy told me i could and that they should fix it!!!

Get it in writting!!!

As has been previously posted one of the AUS members was promised warranty br Penrith Toyota (I think it was) and told no worries. When they asked for that in writting the story changed and no warranty was offered, and they are importing the stuff.

Just be carefull mate I don't want you getting caught out thats all.

Maybe try contacting Toyota Australia and asking them, as it is them at the end of the day that will decide if an issue is warranty or not!

Cheers illuminati

wot if u get the sales guys voice on tape saying his name and saying that warantee will b honoured? thats legally binding aint it?

then toyota will have to honour it wont htey?

cos once you goto someone to sign somthing they get their lawyer in and i doubt they will then.

Only if he agrees to have his voice recorded and he says that he wasnt pressured into it. U really got to talk to a lawyer about it, or call or visit legal aid and ask them for advise, i think legal aid is free