Toyota Ipsum Import

Greetings from Japan my fellow Toyota owners!

I've been living in Japan for the past four years and in April I intend to return Australia permanently. I'm hoping to bring my 1997 Toyota Ipsum back with me.

I shouldn't have any problems getting an import permit but I'm wondering if I'll have any trouble being able to register this car in Queensland? As far as I am aware the Ipsum isn't sold in Australia?

Does anyone have any information about the registration process after you've imported a car to Australia?

Thank you very much for your help!

M

if you feel like contacting the authority the details are below

Queensland Transport

Registration Division

GPO Box 2451

BRISBANE QLD 4701

Tel: 07 3834 2011

Fax: 07 4982 0466

E-Mail: FastInfo@transport.qld.gov.au

I shouldn't have any problems getting an import permit

as you may know you need to have proof of ownership for 1 year for personal import scheme such as registration papers in your name, parking records, petrol and maintenance receipts

as you may know you need to have proof of ownership for 1 year for personal import scheme such as registration papers in your name, parking records, petrol and maintenance receipts

Hmm that's interesting... :) :idea:

Greetings from Japan my fellow Toyota owners!

I've been living in Japan for the past four years and in April I intend to return Australia permanently. I'm hoping to bring my 1997 Toyota Ipsum back with me.

I shouldn't have any problems getting an import permit but I'm wondering if I'll have any trouble being able to register this car in Queensland? As far as I am aware the Ipsum isn't sold in Australia?

Does anyone have any information about the registration process after you've imported a car to Australia?

Thank you very much for your help!

M

give us some pics if u can mate!!!

just googled it...it kinda looks like the toyota tarago and the tamaraw/revo's i seen in philippinez (posted pics of these in a previous post - the tamaraw.. not the ipsum).

obviously depending on ur personal attachment to the car u might find its a lot less headache to sell the car in japan and buy the similar model here in aus. But really upto u ..... good luck with it

Yep, got all that stuff. I've been living over here for four years now. B)

Just for the record and for anyone who might find this info helpful in the future, the following is required to receive an import permit for a car from Japan under the personal import scheme:

5. Personal Imports - Part 8 on Application Form

Visitors, temporary residents, foreign diplomatic personnel, companies and corporations are not eligible to import a vehicle under the personal import scheme.

To be eligible for a personal import the following criteria must be satisfied:

1. the vehicle has been owned and used by the applicant for a continuous period of at least 12 months (3 months where ownership and use of the vehicle commenced before 8 May 2000);

2. at the time the vehicle is imported, the applicant is:

i. an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident; or

ii. a person who has applied to become an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident;

3. the applicant is of an age that entitles him or her to hold a licence or a permit to drive a road vehicle of that type;

4. the applicant undertakes to comply with any requirements as to road safety that are imposed in respect of the vehicle by the Administrator; and

5. the applicant has not imported a road vehicle owned by him/her within the year ending on the day on which the vehicle in respect of which the application is made is landed in Australia. If an applicant has imported a vehicle under any other provisions in that time, approval will not be granted.

The criteria outlined at (a) to (e) above are mandatory criteria as included in Regulation 13 of the Motor Vehicle Standards Regulations 1989. The criteria will be strictly enforced.

Copies of the following documents must be provided to establish ownership and use of the vehicle overseas for twelve consecutive months, or more:

* every page of your passport including all blank pages

* statement of travel. This involves supplying details of any absences from your main country of residence during the relevant qualifying period for ownership and use of the vehicle. If your travel was for business reasons you must supply a letter to that effect from your employer.

* purchase documents

* overseas registration documents in your name

* Driver's Licence

A $50 application fee must also be provided.

Applicants importing from Japan must include the following additional documents:

* Overseas registration certificate, from time of purchase, to time of deregistration, in the applicant's name

* Overseas de-registration certificate, in the applicant's name, showing the date that the vehicle was deregistered in Japan if applicable

* A parking approval in the applicant's name showing that the applicant had permission to park the vehicle

* Compulsory Tax and Insurance

* The applicant's driver's licence -international or as issued by Japanese authorities.

source: http://www.dotars.gov.au/transport/safety/...rting.aspx#5.06

Yeah, the Ipsum is also called a Toyota Picnic I think (what a terrible name!) but I was under the impression that was only sold in the UK? Were picnics also sold in Australia?

It's not really anything special but it's a good car that has been very well maintained and looked after. Because it's ten years old it's basically worthless here in Japan so there is zero resale value. I wouldn't be able to buy car anywhere near as nice in Australia for the price of what it will cost me to ship it over so I figure it's worth it. I either give the car away and drop $8K on a car when I get back or spend $2.5/3K (and a bunch of time cutting through 20km of red tape :help: ) to ship a car I know and like.

I'm waiting for a reply from QLD dept. of transport's "Fast Info" :whistling: . I'll post details of their response once I receive it.

M

An imported vehicle can be registered using the following procedures:

Transport the vehicle from Customs to an Approved Person for any necessary modifications. A modification plate is to be fitted to the vehicle (L03- Personally Imported Compliance Plate)

Transport the vehicle to a Queensland Transport Customer Service Centre to have the vehicle identifiers (VIN/Chassis/Engine) verified with the following documents:

Application for Vehicle Registration (form QF3518)

Original Authority to import (DOTARS)

Evidence of Identity for the Registered Operator(s)

For a full list of acceptable evidence of identity documents, you can visit www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/LTASinfo.nsf/index/licensing_identification

Apply for a Personal Import plate through NIDDRIE

Attach the Personal Import Plate and drive the vehicle to a Queensland Transport Customer Service Centre after obtaining:

A Safety Certificate

A Gas Certificate (if applicable)

A weighbridge certificate (if applicable)

You are able to make the above journey legally to obtain the necessary documents as part of the registration process as long as you have in your possession:

Previous completed Application for Vehicle Registration QF3518

A Compulsory Third Party Insurance Certificate paid for the Term of Registration covering the day of the journey.

The fees to register a vehicle are available online by visiting the Queensland Transport website www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home/Registration/Motorbikes/Registration_fees/

Information on your nearest Customer service centre is available online byvisiting the Queensland Transport website www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home/About_us/How_to_contact_us/By_region/