Hiace Van Mod Project

Ace_Hi_Ace

Hey people, I have just purchased a hiace for a total bargain price , and am about to start modding it, and just wondering if anyone here has modded a van before, and what sort of legalities are required. Maybe if you know of a website/forum for van mods to forward me to, that would be good too.

Mods I plan on doing are basically:

Bigger wheels, (chromies) I know for legal reasons/insurance purposes I have to use commercial vehicle mags, and have found that the wheels for AU Falcon utes are good(as in a legal swap over) but wondering if anyone else knows of any other wheels that may fit? 5 x 114.3 (not sure on offset tho) & load rating of 101

Nice zorst, 2 and a half inch through i think should be nice (minus the **** cannon)

Lowering - not stupidly low, but less 4WD looking than what it is., - front is easy, just a couple of nuts to loosen, but back is leaf springs. anyone ever lowered one of these before?

Paint - Paint on it is dead, so doing a respray at home...not sure on colour yet,

Interior: is gonna be a camper, with polished timber walls and floors(housemate is a carpenter) with black crush velvet everywhere else.

I will get around to replacing the 385k worn out dunger of a2.4L engine later in the year, with a brand newie but for now, it will do. RACQ will save the day.

I am having a few electrical issues, but should have that sorted by the weekend.

And thats pretty much it.

Let me know if you have seen modded vans and know what looks good, and also if you know of anyone with parts that would be awesome too. but the point of this is to give a bit of an intro of me and have somewhere to start my project's thread.

Thanks for reading.

Shane

Oh heres a pic of the old girl so far.

kgbvan1jo7.jpg

The engine isn't too bad, but was a work van and has been flogged, as work vans do. I know the engines are pretty much indestructable, and it has had a rebuild, new head, etc, but i just want to refresh it all, to do long haul travel. Its done close to 400,000 kms, so i dont expect to get another 100,000 out of it. I figure if I go a brand newie (they go for around $2k) its cheaper than another full rebuild and it will give a better resale value. Thats pretty much my reasoning for it.

Wahey, found a place that sells lots of chrome accessories for hiace, and only marginally more expensive than your standard after market stuff too, which isw awesome. Got the whole front end for the hiace in chrome, grill, and light surounds.

Well, I am excited.

:clap:

• 5 months later...
Wahey, found a place that sells lots of chrome accessories for hiace, and only marginally more expensive than your standard after market stuff too, which isw awesome. Got the whole front end for the hiace in chrome, grill, and light surounds.

Well, I am excited.

:clap:

hey mate just woundering where was that place that sells all these chrome bits ive just bought a 99/00 townace and am in the same boat as you...

• 5 weeks later...
Hey people, I have just purchased a hiace for a total bargain price , and am about to start modding it, and just wondering if anyone here has modded a van before, and what sort of legalities are required. Maybe if you know of a website/forum for van mods to forward me to, that would be good too.

Mods I plan on doing are basically:

Bigger wheels, (chromies) I know for legal reasons/insurance purposes I have to use commercial vehicle mags, and have found that the wheels for AU Falcon utes are good(as in a legal swap over) but wondering if anyone else knows of any other wheels that may fit? 5 x 114.3 (not sure on offset tho) & load rating of 101

Nice zorst, 2 and a half inch through i think should be nice (minus the **** cannon)

Lowering - not stupidly low, but less 4WD looking than what it is., - front is easy, just a couple of nuts to loosen, but back is leaf springs. anyone ever lowered one of these before?

Paint - Paint on it is dead, so doing a respray at home...not sure on colour yet,

Interior: is gonna be a camper, with polished timber walls and floors(housemate is a carpenter) with black crush velvet everywhere else.

I will get around to replacing the 385k worn out dunger of a2.4L engine later in the year, with a brand newie but for now, it will do. RACQ will save the day.

I am having a few electrical issues, but should have that sorted by the weekend.

And thats pretty much it.

Let me know if you have seen modded vans and know what looks good, and also if you know of anyone with parts that would be awesome too. but the point of this is to give a bit of an intro of me and have somewhere to start my project's thread.

Thanks for reading.

Shane

Oh heres a pic of the old girl so far.

kgbvan1jo7.jpg

Mate, in Singapore there's a van club for modified vans, you can go look at their forum for inspiration : http://www.eurovanclub.com/

As for Hiace parts you can try this Taiwanese company : http://www.alibaba.com/company/10838933.html or look in ebay.com.sg cos there are helluva lot of Toyota Hiace roaming on Singapore roads.

cheers.

Philip

• 2 months later...

Have a look at the wheels on y Hiace. be wary of chrome mags as they need cleaning every week and if you damahe them you might as well throw them away as repair is expensive. 1 run 18s with 45 profilr tyre

Rex

post-6139-1195850591_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm keen to do a few mods myself to a 98 2.4 petrol. Pace Maker extractors and free breathing mufflers are on the list. I am also looking at ditching the engine driven cooling fan and going thermo/electric, as i believe they are quite a drag on the engine. Using a Davies Graig electric water pump is also on the cards.

On the wish list is a ported head by a mate of mine and possibly a different cam grind.

I reckon these are the areas that will give the most bang for my buck (power/torque/fuel economy).

Putting a set of wheels on a Hilux next week Original Rav4 17" load rated to 101 tyres are going to be Maxxis 235/55r17 103V . we are putting another set of wheels on a Rav 4 Tommorrow and are trading 07 wheels in $500 the set. I put ROH 18" on my Rav4 from new they had load indexed 18" in chrome but they dont make them any more. Still looking for a decent low profile 18 to suit Hilu /Hiace will keep you posted I work at a Tyre shop on the northern suburbs of Brisbane Pm me if you are interested

• 2 years later...

Hi guys, I noticed your post Shane, cheers.

Ive just joined because I've bought a 1989 Hiace SWB windowless van which I'm loving.

This is my 2nd Hiace, I had a 1986 commuter bus with seats removed 2 cars back.

I'm also looking at moding my van, getting Redback extractors/headers put on today to start with.

Mine has been respayed Holden Hothouse Green and it's lowered with pimped out black marine carpet throughout. Nice and quiet.

It has a 2.4l 2RZ motor which has done 140,000, I'm hoping the extractors will help with hills and make it rumble a bit, ha.

cheers Ray

Hiace2.jpg

Edited by passionrays

I've seen early Taragos pimped up like this:

http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/showthread.php?38733-Little-old-Toyota-Tarago.....V8

It should be even easier with the wider engine bay of a Hiace!

I bet the Tarago surprises a few people.

Harrop performance make the engine to gearbox adaptor kits and engine mount kits.

• 4 months later...

Hey I am in a similar position,

I bought a 1992 Toyota Hiace with a reconditioned motor and 5 speed manual as it sits!!

Everyone was saying about this place where you can get chrome parts for these vans, but the atattchment with details don't seem to ne working?

Does anyone know?

post-32481-0-60128100-1366564824_thumb.j

do you think I shoud proceed doing it up or let Rest In Peace??

• 10 years later...

1991 hi ace van. SWB 5 X 114.3

Stud ¢2¢=65mm 

Toyota wish wheels 5 stud swap.

Stud ¢2¢=55mm 

Can I do this without any effort.

Wat do I need to do. Less spent the better 

Anything 5x114.3 Aurion, Kluger, Ford Falcon. Im running 16x6.5" on my little workmate. Got them off a Falcon ute, just had to get a set of hub rings to take up the difference between Hub and wheel centre, cheap as on ebay and they are a perfect offset so they remain tucked in under the guard