lower car first or buy wheels first?

special_interest

i want to lower my car but dont know what is better lower the car first or buy the wheels then lower it. also where can i go in melbourne to get the car lower and how much would it cost? need help coz im a newbie when it come to car :(

Welcome

Firstly, why do you want to lower your car? Is it mostly for looks or is it mostly for better handling?

There are different stages for suspension you need to consider.

Stage1 - Springs alone about $350 installed(Better looks, slightly improved cornering too.

Stage2 - Springs + Shockers, about $1200, much improved cornering.

Stage3 - Coilovers - Track Whore anywhere between $1300 and $3600 depending how cheap you want to

be, not necessary for street, but suitable for track work.

On top of either these you can install better sway bars and strut tower braces/bars.

Personally I think do suspension first. Most people are happy with just springs alone and you can get this done at many suspension places, you can Try Suspension City in North Melbourne or Protech/Bridgestone tyre centre in Oakleigh on Ferntree Gully road.

Thank you for this info - sorry to bump this but I wanted to add a question.

I have just made a purchase of an '03 Corolla Stivo - I want to lower it and probably put 18's on it. 18's purely for bling factor but the car will also be doing some stuff on the track.

Can anyone suggest somewhere where I can look for the style of 18's I want. I don't have a lot of time in "normal" business hours so a site with images would be the best.

Thanks in advance.

Tempe and Ozzy tyres both have websites if you're looking for a local wheel supplier. Buddyclub which has recently started supporting this forum also have thier own Australian website. The supplier for Advanti and Enkei in Australian is called YHI so if you google that you should find their site too (I think it might just be www.yhi.com.au anyway)

If you're just looking at styles then I suggest you peek around some overseas sites (read: Japan), so look for Weds Sport and Work and other big name brands and you can't go wrong...

Edit: just checked out www.yhi.com.au and DAMN they have some nice Enkei's

Edited by Tayles

i want to lower my car but dont know what is better lower the car first or buy the wheels then lower it. also where can i go in melbourne to get the car lower and how much would it cost? need help coz im a newbie when it come to car :(

Hey mate,

N welcome!! :D :clap:

This question u put forward is very opinionated and is best seen in the metal rather than reading off the forums. ;)

Come to our next meet...(Melb 01.01.07) N u'll see a whole array of Rollas that have a wide variety of setups including being lowered on stock stivo rims, being lowered with coilies, being rimmed n lowered, suspension setups etc etc.

Many will argue coilies, many will argue rims, many will argue springs/shocks it depends on where you want to head with your car, how soon and your realistic cash flow.

Stock stivo lowered n SLs does not look **** n even if it does to some, who cares... its my car N I'll do wateva I damn well feel like for my own satisfaction and no one else's. I couldn't afford rims, lolz n still can't, but I had to just had to lower it...it was a must.

Some of the Melb guys ran coilies with custom rims, n have even gone back to the stock rims for justifiable reasons.

Come to the meet/cruise...sit in some of the cars...look at they're setups, see how they've gotten to where they are, why they've gone that way, how they got that way and then make ur judgement. B)

You can lower it first, if you really want to and you have the money lying around. There's a wide range of different mm drops people are using. lows, super lows, cut springs, coilovers. It's all been done, so you pretty much know the clearance if you get wheels. 17" with super lows.. 18" with lows, coilovers. It's all here.

Tempe and Ozzy tyres both have websites if you're looking for a local wheel supplier. Buddyclub which has recently started supporting this forum also have thier own Australian website. The supplier for Advanti and Enkei in Australian is called YHI so if you google that you should find their site too (I think it might just be www.yhi.com.au anyway)

If you're just looking at styles then I suggest you peek around some overseas sites (read: Japan), so look for Weds Sport and Work and other big name brands and you can't go wrong...

Edit: just checked out www.yhi.com.au and DAMN they have some nice Enkei's

Thank you this was very helpful