Neo Prolink Corolla 2006 install questions

Hattori Hanzo

I received delivery of a Neo Prolink unit (http://www.neocaraudio.com/products/ipod.php) today for my Corolla 2006. This is one of those units which lets me hook up my ipod to the stock OEM HU.

I have not yet set a security code on my stock Radio/CD unit and before the install, I will need to disconnect my battery.

My question is, when I re-connect the battery after the install, will my stock radio/CD unit continue to work (as there is no security code set) or does it reset to some default code - something like 0000 or the last few digits of my chassis number?

I have not yet looked behind my Radio/CD unit and wondering is their space behind to mount a small box (5cm x 7cm). Would velcro be sufficient for the mount?

I am a newbie to custom car audio installs so pls bear with me.

Roughly how much will a car shop charge for an install like this, if I don’t want to go with the hassel of DIY. I would like to do it myself cause I read it is not all that difficult and should only take an hour or so.

Ta

hanzo

i could use one of those ipod connectionz... how much did it cost??

ive taken out my stock head unit several times... doesnt have a security code on it... i didnt experience any difficulties whatsoever.

only realised that there MIGHT be a problem only after i took out the head unit the first time, so shouldnt be a worry.

i dont remember having to disconnect the battery 2 do that.. just as long as you dont have your car running while youre trying to take it out hahaha!

but yea, in general dont keep the key in the ignition if yourgonna do work on the car..

yea.. in this case i think its safe to leave the batt. on.

i could be wrong - forum please tell me if i am, but in my personal experience i havent had 2 take off the battery connnections to do a small job like that.

oh yea, you may want to check behind the glove box for the extra space you are looking for.

the glove box is easy to take out. there should only be one screw in the way of you litterally pulling the glovebox off its hinges. just the right pulling pressure would cause the glove box to SNAP off. to put the box back, simply snap it back on, replace the screw.

jase

Edited by JJCRU23R

Jase there's no screw in my glovebox??? :huh:

there is a screw in mine?!

my usb cables r chewed - so only pics i can share atm is from my mobile.

if you were to open your passenger door, open your glove box and hunker down for a better look, you would most probebly see the pic ive just taken from my car.

screw.jpg

its on a plastic hinge thing... its not IN the glove box, its along the side of it.

Oooohhhh that thing. That's connected to the little air-piston doodad (like a hydraulic) that gives you that nice smooth opening of the glovebox. You can remove the glove box without undoing that screw, the piston thingy comes right out with the glove box, it just takes a special knack to get it back in with the piston properly positioned to work once you've re-secured the hinges ;) If the piston isn't properly positioned you will notice immediately, because when you open the glove box it will just fling downwards crazilly rather than the controlled smooth path that you're used to :) I'm not sure if it varies between facelift/pre-facelift but that's how it is in my car.

Back on topic though, there is room behind there as Jase said, Micky-T has velcro'd his iPod onto the back of the glovebox for security reasons :ph34r: he's running the Alpine iPod adaptor too.

OK. I just installed the ipod adapter and all I can say is that I am very pleased with it. With my ipod pluged in, I hit DISC twice and it plays from the ipod. I press the TEXT button and it displays the song title etc.. Up/Down arrows for next/prev tracks...

It took me about 2 hours to install. The hardest part was getting one of the sockets off from the center console. I drilled a hole in the corner of the center console compartment to run the ipod cable thru. The Neo box is secured on the inside of the right of the passenger panel.

Make sure you know your stereo security code before you do this cause once you disconnect your battery, you need the sec code (PIN) to re-enable the stereo. I got in a bit of trouble cause my sec code did not work! I had not changed my sec code when I purchased the car and found the letter from Toyota tell me what the default sec code was. Well, it didnt work for me!! And no I did not change the code. I called Toyota and they said they cannot do anything and have to wait till monday for their service dept to open. I then remembered I read somewhere to try the last 3 digits of your VIN. I tried it and it worked!!!

Also make sure you have a long enough rachet cause 2 bolts for the stereo are way in their.

To get the center console out, you will need to put it into Neutral otherwise it wont come out.

This Neo box is quite expensive (especially shipping) but I am happy with the results. So now I can play my ipod or wifes/mates ipods and also have a spare AUX in as well if needed in the future.