Sportivo Corner weights

SuperDave

Just an FYI

Had my car corner weighted; 3/4 tank, no rear interior and me in it (70kg + probably 8kg of clothing and helmet), with the following results:

FL: 355 kg FR: 433 kg

RL: 229 kg RR: 202 kg

Total Weight 1222kg

Weight distribution:

Front: 65%

Rear: 35%

Dropped the rear by an inch and remesured and it only moved 5kg rearwards so there is no real way to fix the balance. Boot mounting the battery isn't worth the time as that'll only move 15kg to the back. We'd need to move 100kg rearwards to get 50-50.

The 99-05 ZZT Celica has a similar weight distribution too.

interesting info superdave. so with the rear interior trim and spare wheel it will be closer to 50-50 but heavier.

Not really, that's just adding 15kg to the back. If weight is to be added, and not moved from the front, it would need 200kg added to get 50-50. And at 1220 kg the car doesn't need any more weight :lol:

I wonder how much weight changing to carbon fibre bonnet saves.

5kg loss from the front won't make a significant affect either. Refer to above.

probably spent a good sum of money on this too? i just asked around in melbourne, they ping 300 to 500 to corner weight my car... -_-

this is because they need to balance it depending on how you want it. when you in the car and fuel tank partially full etc. could take half a day they said -_-

This is very interesting Dave! Great work! I, however noticed that RR is less than RL.. is that due to the 2ZZ fuel tank being on the left?

Peter.

It's mostl ikely just slight ride height variance.

probably spent a good sum of money on this too? i just asked around in melbourne, they ping 300 to 500 to corner weight my car... -_-

this is because they need to balance it depending on how you want it. when you in the car and fuel tank partially full etc. could take half a day they said -_-

I had it done for free :P It was just a weigh in, so no work was done to it (other than what I did myself).

• 2 weeks later...

That's not so bad. My Echo is 69/31% F/R.

But in saying that, the Honda Civic rallying in the ARC at the moment has even had the fuel tank moved forward to put as much weight over the front as possible.:unsure:

• 4 months later...

i had a similar weight distribution with an ae92 seca, unfortunately there isnt much you can move around with fwd to even it up. I ended up moving the battery to the boot and it evened up the corners a bit. even though lowering the rear moved a bit of weight to the back, wouldnt you be better off with it higher to give you some rake angle to improve turn in?

• 3 months later...

The more rallies I do, the more I think that the front/ rear distribution of a front wheel drive does not and should not be anywhere near 50:50.

I think the whole 50:50 thing is definately correct for rear wheel drive and possibly AWD but my car at 69:31 f/r is taily enough as it is. I certainly wouldn't want any more weight down the back.

The more rallies I do, the more I think that the front/ rear distribution of a front wheel drive does not and should not be anywhere near 50:50.

I think the whole 50:50 thing is definately correct for rear wheel drive and possibly AWD but my car at 69:31 f/r is taily enough as it is. I certainly wouldn't want any more weight down the back.

I agree. The cars left the factory being setup with a 70:30 (or whatever) weight distribution and have been setup that way by the test drivers and engingeers.I have since lifted the rear 20mm to aid cornering.