help!! clunking in my suspension!!

ok i need some help...

i took my front driver's side suspension setup apart today (stock), and i got the spring and shock out easily enough (actually it caused alot of frustration, but lets not go there)...

but when it came to putting it together, i managed to get it on, but when i went for a drive to make sure things were fine, i hear this clunking sound coming from that corner...

does anyone have any idea what this could be? i took the wheel off again and everything seems to be in place and fine... the only thing that isnt quite the same is that bar (runs parallel to the shock below the spring) didnt go on the way it came. well it did, but the bolt just wouldnt tighten completely. i kept twisting it for ages and it never got hard to tighten, but it is definately screwed almost the whole way on...

im really freaked out that im going to drive along and somethings going to pop off and snap and cause me to crash or something...

any ideas?

ok i need some help...

i took my front driver's side suspension setup apart today (stock), and i got the spring and shock out easily enough (actually it caused alot of frustration, but lets not go there)...

but when it came to putting it together, i managed to get it on, but when i went for a drive to make sure things were fine, i hear this clunking sound coming from that corner...

does anyone have any idea what this could be? i took the wheel off again and everything seems to be in place and fine... the only thing that isnt quite the same is that bar (runs parallel to the shock below the spring) didnt go on the way it came. well it did, but the bolt just wouldnt tighten completely. i kept twisting it for ages and it never got hard to tighten, but it is definately screwed almost the whole way on...

im really freaked out that im going to drive along and somethings going to pop off and snap and cause me to crash or something...

any ideas?

Bro, I'd be taking it back to Toyota if I were you it sounds like your stabeliser or sway bar

isnt properly in it's corect setting. (and drive cortiously)

Sounds like your sway bar link isn't tight enough. It needs to be pushed firmly into the hole as it's on a taper then fit the nut and tighten up. If you don't get the thread to seat properly in the hole then it will not be tight and will clunk with every small bump.

Make sure that when you jack the car up that both wheels are off the ground to take some of the pressure off the sway bar. It'll make fitting the sway bar link into the hole correctly far easier.

Sounds like your sway bar link isn't tight enough. It needs to be pushed firmly into the hole as it's on a taper then fit the nut and tighten up. If you don't get the thread to seat properly in the hole then it will not be tight and will clunk with every small bump.

Make sure that when you jack the car up that both wheels are off the ground to take some of the pressure off the sway bar. It'll make fitting the sway bar link into the hole correctly far easier.

was it clunking before you took it apart the first time and thats why u did it?

if thats the case you may have a dead shock?

Sway bars also make a clunk if not in properly and TIGHT ... especially rear ones as it may touch ur zorst

hmmm

you are the best.

thanks heaps for that tip - i guess the problem was that the car was only jacked up on one side... i also didnt realise how that nut with the allen socket thing worked... you gotta hold the allen socket in place and screw the nut around it... but once i worked that out it was smooth sailing until tight :)

i am so relieved now - i didnt wanna take it toyota to have them tell me something was broken and it would cost $12,000 to fix... i'll have to buy you a drink silva!!