Tarago 2002, fixing door handle, brake lights, programming key/remote, running camera wire

BenK

Hi peoples,

Just got a 2002 ACR30R tarago gli, its a bit worn but ok.

I'm trying to fix up a few things with it and have a few questons i'm hoping i can get help with!

1) I only got one key (removable remote moduleinside head), I want to get another key/remote, I can get a second hand one, is there a programming sequence for these cars? There was one to program my Avalon for the chipped key and a different sequence for the remote.

2) The passenger side sliding door outside handle needs a good yank to open, any ideas how to fix this? do i need to rp the whole side trim off to get at it?

3) I bought a reverse camera for my wife to get used to reversing this thing, and i need to run the av cable to the dash, do i run it through the roof? if so how? if not where else can i run it?

4) the brake lights on the boot lid don't work, i changed all the bulbs, but it doesnt look like they are getting the 12v, is this a known issue? wheres the first place i check?

Thanks in advance!

Ben

**edit change transponder to remote**

Edited by BenK

A used transponder will work as they are not locked to the cars on these, I'm guessing that you are talking about the remote though as these are 2 different parts, a used remote can also be used. If you don't need the remote and are only after a spare key you will be able to get that for a lot cheaper, about $100.

Hi thanks for reply, yep I meant remote, Amy ideas where I can get programming instructions for the remote module

transponder -

Insert already registered master key into ignition

Depress and release accelerator 5 times

depress and release break 6 times

Remove master key

Insert new key into ignition

Depress and release accelerator once ( Security light blinks)

After 60 seconds security light will go out of this has been done correctly

to close programming remote key and press break peddle.

Remote -

Sit in drivers seat, ONLY drivers door open and no key in ignition

Insert master key into ignition and remove, do a second time

Close and open door 2 times

Insert key into ignition and remove it

close and open door 2 times

close the door and insert master key

Turn ignition from OFF to ON then back to OFF once to ADD new remote

Remove key from ignition

----- Door locks should LOCK then UNLOCK once----

Press and hold LOCK and UNLOCK on new remote for 1 second ( Not longer)

then press either the LOCK or UNLOCK ( don't hold it)

----- Door locks should LOCK and UNLOCK---

Open drivers door to close programming.

If you are going to start looking for cheap remotes most of the ones from Ebay don't work, there are some good after market ones available but you will still be paying around $100 for just the remote part.

• Like 1

thanks heaps,

I might go for aftermarket, the second hand eBay ones were about $100 anyway, aftermarket shops?

• 4 weeks later...

fixed the door handle, removed the window handle and door trim, and had to bend the end of the wire coming from external door handle, door opens much easier now!

now just to find out how to run the wires to the back, i'm thinking i have to remove the roof trim?

and not having much luck finding an aftermarket remote control,

Hi BenK

Have you had any success running your reverse camera wires to the back?

I am yet to get my camera and am interested in how you tackled the installation.

I guess that probably the hardest part would be feeding the cable through the existing rubber boot between the rear door and body.

Cheers

Paul_j

Never figured out the wiring,

So I bought this wireless transmitter (except i got it from buyincoins.com for $11), and gonna give that a try,

I've tested the wirless a little with the camera i had and it looks like it will do the job, but i buying another camera that fits in the number plate light hole for easier mounting.

I'll post the results here, if the wireless turns out really crap in regular use, i'll just figure out how to run the wire again

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-4GHZ-RCA-Wireless-Transmitter-Receiver-for-Rear-Reversing-Camera-Monitor-/200834867970?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec2b0e302&_uhb=1

Hi BenK

I had seen one of these wireless units a while ago on EBay but wondered how good they were. Interested to know if the signal suffers any 'static' noise or how well it transmits from the rear to the front of the vehicle.

I have been considering one of these camera's (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260956281761;jsessionid=1A706646C9319D188685DD8F49FFE269?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D260956281761%26_rdc%3D1) but am unsure it will fit in place of the number plate light. The advert states 2006 + Taragos but it looks like it would fit. Rather like the idea of the built in guide lines.

....now just to find out how to run the wires to the back, i'm thinking i have to remove the roof trim?

You can run a cable under of the bottom edge of the door step trims and then inside the rear trim panel.

http://www.wholesalecarkeys.net/

This company may be able to help. Pull the remote apart and read the number off the transmitter module and send them an email. I assume your remote is separate to keys.

Edited by robmac1

Hi BenK

I had seen one of these wireless units a while ago on EBay but wondered how good they were. Interested to know if the signal suffers any 'static' noise or how well it transmits from the rear to the front of the vehicle.

I have been considering one of these camera's (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260956281761;jsessionid=1A706646C9319D188685DD8F49FFE269?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D260956281761%26_rdc%3D1) but am unsure it will fit in place of the number plate light. The advert states 2006 + Taragos but it looks like it would fit. Rather like the idea of the built in guide lines.

Paul: I bought one of those license mount cameras last week ( http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150969868511?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_7687wt_1163 )

I'll let you know how it works out, i was testing with the camera i got with my head unit, whichi does a pretty good job, but much harder to find somewhere to mount.

....now just to find out how to run the wires to the back, i'm thinking i have to remove the roof trim?

You can run a cable under of the bottom edge of the door step trims and then inside the rear trim panel.

http://www.wholesalecarkeys.net/

This company may be able to help. Pull the remote apart and read the number off the transmitter module and send them an email. I assume your remote is separate to keys.

Thanks Rob $60 for the part sounds good

my part number is 60030 so looks like 304mhz

Hi BenK

Paul: I bought one of those license mount cameras last week ( http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150969868511?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_7687wt_1163 )

I'll let you know how it works out, i was testing with the camera i got with my head unit, which does a pretty good job, but much harder to find somewhere to mount.

Yay fully installed the camera last night (finished at 1am so no photos yet, the wifes taken the van all morning)

so good news, the camera fits the license hole mount, in the 2002 tarago fine. I used some double sided foam tape to pad it out a bt and adjust the angle.

I had to remove the rear trim to be able to move the old light. (and of course wire it all up).

I put on camera on the left at first then realised it had to be on the right due to the light location

I now need a led for the other light as the number plate is half yellow half white

I chickened out of splicing to many of the factory wires, i found looms where i could stick my wires into the back of the looms then electric tape it up. workd for the moment i'll see how it goes

I foam taped the transmitter/reciever once i put the door trim on reception got a bit worse, but it does the job, reception was much better before it was installed.

As for my boot lid lights.. had a massive DERRRR moment last night, the lights in the boot lid are for reverse only, there are no brake lights in the boot lid only reflectors.

hope this helps let me know if you want photos!

Hello BenK

I am interested in your progress on the reverse camera - thanks on info to date. Photo's if available would be great when convenient.

I was interested in how the camera fitted and it seems to have gone okay.

I had wondered about the difference in lighting levels between the LED on the camera and the other number plate light.

Don't know what would be a suitable 'equivalent' light that you could use.

I guess if the lighting LED in the camera ever stops working then the whole camera unit would need replacing as I don't think the LED by it-self is replaceable.

Any photos of what the reception from the wireless installation looks like would be interesting.

My worry was that there would be a lot of possible noise in the picture due to electricals and also partial sheilding of both the transmitter and receiver antennas by body panels, dash etc.

I am guessing the receiver is up behind the dash.

If that is the case then perhaps it might be better to run a cable down to the back and have the receiver mounted somewhere near the tool kit. The transmitter could be just behind the trim on the rear door and not that far from the receiver antenna. Just a thought.

Will be interested in how thinks go.

All the best

actually reception is lookng good, things are going well, few hiccups here and there, but not sure if it was just me or the camera.

will report back if I notice anything.

here are the photos of the camera installed

I think i'll buy one of these to replace the other number plate globe

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300825939070?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

actually that one looks too tall

these are shorter 3cm the bulb i pulled out is only 2cm though so not sure they will fit

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10pcs-White-LED-T10-168-194-Car-Wedge-Light-Side-Interior-Number-Plate-Lamp-Bulb-/300864618233?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item460cedbef9&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-SMD-T10-Wedge-White-License-Number-Plate-12V-LED-Light-Bulbs-2825-175-194-/200862978588?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec45dd21c&_uhb=1

post-32120-0-53455600-1367724688_thumb.j

post-32120-0-52768800-1367724691_thumb.j

post-32120-0-70976800-1367724693_thumb.j

post-32120-0-51770700-1367724698_thumb.j

Edited by BenK
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi BenK

Well I just got my camera - still waiting on the wireless transmitter/receiver unit to arrive.

BK, just wondering where you ended up fitting your receiver unit, also which bulb did you settle on for the remaining number plate light so that it was pretty close to light levels from the camera unit.

Thanks for all the info to date.

Cheers

I double sided taped the transmitter to the top left of the boot lid (when inside van facing the rear)

the receiver is just inside the dash cavity, with antenna facing out

the hardest bit was hooking up the reverse light from stereo->gear shift light

the number plate light i havent changed yet, although i changed all the interior dome lights with them, i just cant be bothered taking off the rear trim again.

I got these ones: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310527393231?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

they are wedge type and will fit all the domes, door lights and number plate lights, the boot light uses a festoon globe though, doh

The transmitter / receiver unit arrived today.

I would have liked to have fitted it this week-end but will be away so it won't be till the week-end after.

In the mean time, BenK could you please provide some insight as to what was involved in connecting up to the gear shift R indicator.

I believe that to get access, you need to remove the lower panel first (under the steering wheel - that has the bonnet release on it).

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Well I changed my mind about the camera / number plate light and went for a different style of camera.

That way I am able to keep both number plate lights stock standard and the camera mounting was real easy.

Hopefully the photo attaches to this reply okay.

I mounted the 2.4 GHz transmitter near the tail light and picked up the 12 volts from the adjacent reversing light.

Camera works well and has distance lines as well.

(EBay #171053648723 Advert is for Front camera - when I ordered this all I had to do was leave a message that it was for rear view and to include lines and they did.)

This coming week-end I hope to install the front camera.

(Same camera - front view - no lines)

Cheers

I am still to get a good head unit so have been testing the cameras on the old head unit from my previous Tarago.

post-30564-0-86611000-1375948399_thumb.j