AC Control Conversion, Mechanical to climate control

doobey123

So i found a "climate control"$(KGrHqZ,!lIFIk8vIjovBSRRlJIUbg~~60_12.J

unit for my SK-20 model Camry and currently my mechanical dial(below) is not working correctly, the middle dial is cracking and the dial has teeth missing resulting in being unable to fully turn the dial to hot or cold.
$T2eC16dHJHwFG1yoju2gBSOmvW0hkQ~~60_12.J

So i want to go from this^ to the first picture i noted.

How long and how hard is this job going to be? Ive had a look at the current controls in my camry(has 3 dials, 2 buttons and the "leaver" and it looks like the leaver and middle dial are both mechancial, so no electrical components effect this, i want to change that. What would this involve? how long will it take? is it a hard job to do? and most importantly, is it affordable?

thanks.

Edited by doobey123

Generally, a climate control system will use different sensors, compressor and pressure switches. You may get lucky and some of these may be similar, however, it would be best to go to a wreckers and compare what you have and what you need. As far as time, it could take ages or not long depending on the variables stated above.

I'm in no way technically competent in this area but I do know that on my climate control the air flow button triggers a motor that does the job of the mechanical switch. Also the screen displays the outside temperature so I guess there would be a sensor for that. It would also measure the interior temperature somehow to maintain the temperature set with the dial.There's a black knobby looking thing in my dash under the windscreen that I presume measures temperatures. No idea if cars without climate control have it.

As I said before, I'm incompetent and these are observations and assumptions. Hope they helped somewhat.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in no way technically competent in this area but I do know that on my climate control the air flow button triggers a motor that does the job of the mechanical switch. Also the screen displays the outside temperature so I guess there would be a sensor for that. It would also measure the interior temperature somehow to maintain the temperature set with the dial.There's a black knobby looking thing in my dash under the windscreen that I presume measures temperatures. No idea if cars without climate control have it.

As I said before, I'm incompetent and these are observations and assumptions. Hope they helped somewhat.

You did help a lot, Especially for someone sayign they are incompetent, thank you heaps, the fact that there is a motor that controls the dial even when its electronic brings me new hope. Thank you heaps for this.

• Like 1