2008 4x4 single cab steel tray to tub

Outback bush basher

Hi all

This is my very first post after watching this forum for a few months and have decided to join.

My question is, I have a 2008 kun26r 3ltr turbo single cab 4x4 ute with a very heavy mine spec tray fitted. I would like to remove this tray and fit a tub like on the extra cabs but I'm not sure if there is a single cab tub that will fit. I have been told that the chassis is pretty much the same as the single cab 4x2 so does that mean the tray off the 4x2 may fit? Any info would be greatly appreciated and look forward to being a part of this forum. Jesse.. Oh and this is my hilux! Few things done but more to come.

post-35911-0-23092400-1404139059.jpg

post-35911-0-93549600-1404139070.jpg

IMHO any full length tub from the same series will fit a cab chassis. Shorter tubs [dual and extra cab] may need extra mounts fitted to your chassis. Out of series tubs need too much work to bother with. The mounts are usually different and I'm not into adaptor plates, not on a 1T capacity tub. If you do either you will need to get the mod certified. GET APPROVAL in principle FIRST, ask licensing for list of engineers whom might sign off on the mods [$300 is my quote]. OEM mounts are expensive little sods-$98 ea for the front dual cab tub mounts for my LN147R 2 yrs ago. Chassis mods usually require new commercial components-it's "preferred" & inspectors can insist. Custom components are the bane of the certifying engineers, and are VERY $$$$$$$$! [see national guidelines- www.infrastructure.gov.au; VSB 14 48 pages?]

Gut Gluck

Haven't seen a extra cab tub on a s'cab/chassis, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one with a dual cab tub on a s'cab chassis. Hope to get my much oil-burning/leaking 2L out today so I can re-fit my now reconned 5L w turbo [CT20A]-unadjusted injector pump so no extra max power. I want cruising economy from the boost at speed. It's been nearly 2 yrs since my 5L ran low on oil, and it's been a massive fight to sort out, with 2 knee replacements and minimal disposable income to deal with, but as my main post says-"End in sight".

Edited by Manxman
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Haven't seen a extra cab tub on a s'cab/chassis, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one with a dual cab tub on a s'cab chassis. Hope to get my much oil-burning/leaking 2L out today so I can re-fit my now reconned 5L w turbo [CT20A]-unadjusted injector pump so no extra max power. I want cruising economy from the boost at speed. It's been nearly 2 yrs since my 5L ran low on oil, and it's been a massive fight to sort out, with 2 knee replacements and minimal disposable income to deal with, but as my main post says-"End in sight".

Want to do the dual cab tub on the single cab as well and take up the available space with a cage. What hoops did you have to jump through with yours?

I've fitted recycled mounts for the front of the trub to the chassis. These will need engineers certification and licensing approval. All in pipeline. The box might need approval too, so it's a 3mm checkerplate floor mounted on 50mm sq tube, 3mm thick. Fully welded both sides. I expect to form the framework so that the whole is 1600mm across, 900mm high and 750mm wide. There will be sub-frames 500mm in from each end, on 3 sides. Then I will fully weld some strong mesh into the front wall as impact load spreading, for occupant safety and damage control. the 9 rectangles of the frame will then be individually covered by prefab panels which will be pop riveted on with sealed monel rivets and mastic sealant.. The back right corner will be indented to mount the fuel filler cap above floor height and at abt 45 deg from horiz. This will ease present filling difficulties. Large, lockable, weatherproof doors and simple lighting/12V DC sockets will allow ease of use and the operation of appliances. An overhead platform covering box and cab will provide shade from the intense summer heat. I haven't decided whether to license the car with the box on or off, depending whether it's needs structural certification. I will probably submit my design to the engineer for a cursory approval, then the finished article if I can get it in close to the original quote. I will look up the regulations to see what compliance is necessary for the box, before I build it further. Ventialation and see thru glass is still being determined.

Edited by Manxman

get approval in principle from licensing before spending too much. If they won't allow it there's not much you can do. All existing commercial mods should be legal, slight mods again, like shortening a cabin, shouldn't be hard IFF you can find someone to do it. NB most cabins are around 1.8M wide, which means a lot of overhang outside the normal car cross section==very wide, sometimes awkward, mirrors.

My single cab with dual cab tub only allows a 770mm wide space for the box, and an extra cab will be somewhat less than that. I feel some measuring would be of benefit. Also, does the extra cab use the front pair of the 8 rear chassis mounts? that will make it necessaru to build onto the tub for a stable base. Do not remove the barge board from the front of the tub. It's a legal requirement, if not a full roll bar by 2004?

Edited by Manxman

What you will be told is that licensing will allow existing bolt on objects for that generation to be freely interchanged, between models, but ANY structural /safety changes need to be approved. This usually includes fitting extra mounts.

A new box design should need to have some included safety features and minimum standards met, although I've no idea what such are.

My ideas are that it should double as a cab protector in event of rollover, that it should retain it's contents under survivable crash conditions, and that it should not come adrift then. Any fabrications, windows, doors/locks anchorages, ventilation, fluid carriage or electrical work must meet automotive standards. If a person gets inside the unit, there MUST be an internal door release, and protection from internal protrusions and illumination?