ST184 project fix it

Exiovus

hey guys, I have been working one my 1991 Toyota Celica ST184R SX which I purchased for $500 3 months back... this week I got a new temperature sensor for my radiator which got my fan working finally! so it's all good to drive, I also picked up myself a set of Veloche wheels 215X45X17, so 17" inc wheels. they fit very well however I will need to replace 2 of the tyres as theyre bald, so also I will be having lower profile front tyres on the front as compared to my rears I plan on running a 205x45x17 on the fronts so my speedo isnt out and I dont need to get it recalibrated I just did the research and if I keep the same profiles as whats on it, I will be traveling aprox 5km faster then my speedo says eg. speedo reads 95km when I will be doing roughly 100kmph,

also will be getting a wheel alighnment. then next on the cards will be a new exhaust tip I would like to stay away from getting a cannon and would prefer to get a oval dual tip muffler to still retain the meety note my full 2.25" exhaust system.

come early feburary this project will be getting closed to complete. down the track I will be seeking a Carlos Sainz bonnet, and maybe body kit could be on the cards aswell. I will keep updates on this project, and my main goal is to have a sleek looking celica which could be good as a show car, and meets, also I have no intention of making it more powerful so an engine conversion isnt on the cards. it would be cheaper to just sell my car and get an st185. thankyou for reading if you have any tips or sujestions let me know. :D

post-36702-0-95794800-1417693617_thumb.j

Edited by Exiovus

• 2 weeks later...

I finally finished this build, there may be some minor things I will do to it in the future like a new rear exhaust muffler, maybe lowered springs however the roads around my area won't allow me to have a body kit as it scraped this morning on a dipped gutter in the road, so I might not even lower it, its a fantastic little car and I have enjoyed the build, Im looking forward to being invited to go on a cruise with the club. :D

• 4 weeks later...

A quick update, got new tyres on the front, full balance, and alignment handles a lot better too, a list of things I still need to look at,

*find the issue that is chewing my battery after about 1 week of it sitting,

*fix oil leak, hoping its just the cam cover gasket,

*get new exhaust muffler tip fitted and new bracket in center of exhaust,

*fix the interior door lights,

*new spark plugs, and leads + full service,

*new water pump and timing belt (heard when I replace the belt that I should do the water pump too.)

• 2 weeks later...

ok found myself an st185 bonnet for this which I will pick up on friday the 30th, should look awesome and be my 2nd cosmetic mod, after that I need to get my new muffler fitted, spark plugs and new leads, aswell as polishing the valve cover, this should make the care look and perform alot nicer.

• 2 weeks later...

today I just got my fuse and relay box so my alternator should be functioning properly and also not drain my battery, originally when I got this car it had no fuse, there was a vacancy for a 100A Alternater fuse which was not there, and the pins to attach it too were folded together, unfortunately though on the journey down there my quick fix job on my exhaust bracket me and my friend did let go so now next week I will be going to the exhaust shop, I was hoping just to get new leads and plugs, as well as a new valve cover gasket. but now I have to get the exhaust fixed and mayaswell get my muffler fitted in the process,

its a bit frustrating I fix 1 issue then 2 more take its place <_< . I will have this car all sorted though and looking great, I didn't get the gt4 bonnet the other week, as I needed to get the electrics done as I said, so in a bout 3-5 weeks from now it should be on the cards unless another issue occurs.

so far the build has been challenging as the car was a mess when I got it, but looking back at it now compared too 4 months ago when I got it its a completely different car.

quick update, I just had my Exhaust fixed and the new muffler fitted, my friend was following me and said I was blowing smoke, hopefully thats just caused by my valve cover gasket which I will be looking at working on tomorrow the only tool I dont have for the job is a torque wrench and a 30mm socket, I read up it needs to be tightened to 17lbs or something like that, also the battery drain is still there I have looked at ways to identify what the issue is and where, so I have a 0.25Amp draw while everything is off so there is an issue somewhere, just gotta find out what the hell it is then solve it. I will post some pictures of the new exhaust on the car and maybe a clip of the sound too.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to see you haven't received any comments on your awesome thread mate. Brings back memories when I had my ST184. They are fantastic cars. I put extractors on mine and I felt it brought a little bit more out of the 5sfe. They are built like bricks and keep running for many years to come. I went in a ST184 with a 3sgte conversion and it was an absolute blast of fun haha. My favourite car of all time.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the lights stay on in the boot. Also as the power ariel doesn't gear died the motor still works but you can hear it weering till it stops. Just some ideas.

Did your still have the hub caps on the genuine alloy wheels, I after one.