Camry Altise 2003 Dead animal in ventilation fan

Hi. I have a dead animal/reptile stuck in my ventilation fan (I assume). Turned air con on a couple of days ago, turned the cabin fan to full and a terrible racket started coming from the fan. Turned fan and air con off, waited a minute then tried fan again, only for the racket to be worse. Car now pongs so bad I can't drive it without wanting to be sick. Imagine it will get far worse. Can anyone please tell me how to remove the animal? Can't afford a big bill atm.

Here are a few sensible options:

1. Burn the car to the ground.

2. Attempt to remove it using a high powered leaf blower or vacuum cleaner.

3. Pour draino into the vents and hope for the best.

4. Attach an air freshener to your nose and wait for the carcass to rot and the bodily fluids to dry up.

5. Remove it yourself, by "having a go".

6. Pay someone to remove it.

Disclaimer: Do not actually try options 1 to 3, I take no responsibilty if you do so.

Haha good one Trent!

But if you look up under the dash in the passenger foot well, you will see a black cover, remove that. Then you will see a round thing with a motor attached to it, that round thing is the fan housing, its held in by three screws. Remove them, then pull it down, you should be able to leave the wiring harness attached. That's where your problem will most likely be, I once had rats get in there and there to make a nest!

But failing that, revert back to Trent's suggestions :D

Edited by mbruce

But failing that, revert back to Trent's suggestions :D

Burn it to the ground!

Don't actually burn it to the ground. If you do, I will laugh, but still take not responsibility for your actions.

• Like 1

Thankyou, mbruce. Tried to google info but all I found was instructions for removing air filters for US version Camry, which were nothing like my car. Tried to ring local Toyota service Dept but after 3 calls and then being left on hold for ages, gave them a miss. Will give your instructions a try.

Just remember that the fan when removed from underneath typically takes the centre section out which is the motor assembly with the fan blades. If something in there has died, it is not going to stay contained when you pull out the fan.