Engine check light

Bigfoot

Hi, I'm new to this forum, I have a 1994 hilux surf,I have the turbo diesel KZ-TE , the engine check light is on and off ,mainly on is this a similiar issue and fix to the petrol models, or should I be looking for something else? timing, fuel,? any info would be appreciated, the motor has been reconditioned 8000klms ago, runs sweet.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

Bigfoot

Hi, I have tried to check the fault codes but all I'm getting is a continual flashing of the engine check light, the motor is A transplant or a reconditioned one, it starts, runs , and depending on load, the engine light comes on and off ,but does not seem to affect the engines operation, I believe the ECU's are no longer available, and also that the capacitors might need replacing, I can do that if needed,be nice to know without going to a toyota dealer though. Thanks, Bob.

ECU repair isn't normally done by dealers, they just replace them for max profit. U need some one like Autobarn where ecu's get repaired. Not a job for ordinary auto electrician. job for micro-computer tech whom can solder properly and work on SMT cicuitry at component level. Not a common skill. U should google for ECU repar service and expect to have to post it to get repair done, IF that's what it needs. NB keep your fingers OUT of the ecu. All you will do is make it worse. CMOS circuitry is extremely sensitive to static, and the stresses you put in will fail the device, tho' not necessarily immediately. I am a compter hardware tech. I understand why and what I'm saying, and I'm trying to save you trouble. Please harken to my warning. Repair may be quite expensive, may be cost effective to buy generic ecu and graft it in, and have it professionally adjusted. others may advise more detail on that, use google etc too.

Thanks for the warning, I do have experience in the electronics side of things, ATM's and money machines,pcb's, etc, so am aware of my limitations and wont touch anything I'm not sure of.

I appreciate your help, and thank you,for your information.

Cheers

Bob

Expert help prob only avail from capital city or big rural fleet servicer. Price you pay for having efi. carbs and mech pumps are far easier to maintain, and IMO, more reliable. Failures generally slower than efi ones. electronics fail with just time, and you won't know how long a new part has been on the shelf until it's too late. there's no warranty on them, they can fail instantly, for no obvious reason, and that could kill you because you can't fix it.