Coilover Settings

LiMz RoLLa

Just a quick question on the damper settings you guys have set on your coilovers.

I currently have them on like 1 turn from max hard for front and back on my D2's. However, i still don't feel 100% confident whilst hard cornering. I'm scared the rear will swing out. Should the front and rear settings be the same?

I also have a whiteline front and rear sway with a front strut brace. So i would be expecting go-kart handling right?

Cheers,

Andrew

Your running on pretty hard damping, you should soften the front so you are not skipping on the road. You need traction, I believe their is a misconception that having really stiff settings equals awesome handling. The car reacts quicker but doesnt mean its faster.

There are quite a few members now running coilovers. Can people please post your coilovers and settings. To help members

Coilovers: G4

Spring Rate: 7kg (front)/5kg (Rear)

Damping setting: 3 front and 6 rear

Other handling mods: TRD rear sway and Cusco front strut

Ive experimented and found this to be the ideal setting for comfort and performance on sydney streets, which are quite bad. I use to run stiffer when i didnt have a rear sway, but after getting it i noticed i could run softer damping and still maintain good handling

Edited by JAZE55

Ive never had a problem with oversteer and not really any understeer (maybe i just enter corners at the right speed) but yeah i have all aftermarket sway bars and strut braces so that might help.

keep in mind that the stiffer u have ur dampers on the shorter it will last.

also d2 has funky spring rates, normally on a front wheel drive car the rear should be stiffer then the front, but d2 have 7kg F and 5KG right, if u look at any other brand normally its would be 5kg F and 7gk Rear lol that shows lack of R&D. stock celica spring rates are 6kg front and 8kg rear.

fwd cars naturally understeer so you have to expect some no matter what, and you will never get "go kart" like handleing even with the best set of coil-overs. also if you get a rear swaybar it will increase your oversteer abit so it might balance it out abit, but it really depends on the way you drive, thats what sussy's are about, balance.

Edited by vyets

keep in mind that the stiffer u have ur dampers on the shorter it will last.

also d2 has funky spring rates, normally on a front wheel drive car the rear should be stiffer then the front, but d2 have 7kg F and 5KG right, if u look at any other brand normally its would be 5kg F and 7gk Rear lol that shows lack of R&D. stock celica spring rates are 6kg front and 8kg rear.

fwd cars naturally understeer so you have to expect some no matter what, and you will never get "go kart" like handleing even with the best set of coil-overs. also if you get a rear swaybar it will increase your oversteer abit so it might balance it out abit, but it really depends on the way you drive, thats what sussy's are about, balance.

Im no advocate of D2 suspension, however i wouldnt say the company lacks R&D because the front dampener has a stiffer spring rate than the rear. I can name many companies that design coilover for front wheel drive cars with similar setups. (Buddyclub, Cusco, Tein, HKS)

Anyway through my experience of driving my mates car with a very similar setup, i found reducing the dampening on the rear helped in preventing oversteer. The front dampening was pretty much on full stiffness.

Hmm, I thought most coilover brands were stiffer at the front than rear (i.e. Cusco, D2s). I'm pretty sure with most coilover models you can specify whatever spring rates you want anyway.

get better tyres ;)

fyi, im on zero2's setting 5 (Track/Stiffest) all around, car doesnt skip bounce whatever, just sticks and turns :)

tyres play a CRUCIAL part in the way a car handles.....so invest in sum QUALITY tyres

everyone always forgets about tyres :(

a suspension setup is only as good as its tyres :P

teamwork i tell ya! its teamwork! and a car is only as good as its driver and so on and so on!

Edited by vyets

mine was on 1 and half twist front. and 1.0 twist on rears... felt like running 18s, gripped like crazy.. car didnt even bounce :blink:

but not ideal for street driving so its now setted 1.0 front .5 rears