Considering getting a MCV36R Camry Sportivo

birdie

Ok i am looking at upgrading from my corolla as its getting a little high in the K's and its getting to the age where things are more likely to start breaking. Its a 97 AE102 Corolla Seca, and i've done a touch under 270,000ks...

I am considering upgrading to a MCV36R Camry Sportivo, thats the last shape camry with the V6.. (previous to the current shape). I am looking at getting a manual one...

Now a couple of things:

- Does anyone know what the manual V6's do stock down the 400m?

- Any known issues or things about them?

- Its going to be setup with a decent (albiet budget) SQ system this time... how are they how a SQ car? I know there is plenty of room in the boot :D

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Also any websites to look at for them? there is very little selection on carsales.com.au or autotrader.com.au

I know the manual V6s are rare but there should be still a few around...

Also i am considering getting one with a sunroof if i can find one... any known issues with the toyota sunroof?

I am looking to find one with around a 100,000ks or less for around $15000-18000 or so... Do you think that is easily achievable?

the stock V6 should do between high 15s - 16.5sec for 400m time.

V6 should cost between $17-$25k, $20k should get you a decent one with 100,000km or less. Boot size should be bigger than the corolla :spiteful: , but yeah its quite big.

What's an SQ System??

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Also any websites to look at for them? there is very little selection on carsales.com.au or autotrader.com.au

The boot is huge, when we bought ours in Jan 06 it had the largest boot of it's class (100L bigger than the Commodore of the time)

As to the websites try the other usuals

drive.com.au

carpoint.com.au

I was actually having a look this morning and saw a few manual V6's around. One thing to keep in mind is that the search engines don't always work properly. I found if you use MCV36 as a keyword you come up with very few results but if you use the year range then you will be fine.

Try driving an auto as well for comparison, maybe it was just a Friday build that I drove but the manual I tested a few months back seemed very sluggish compared with my auto

A SQ System is a Sound Quality system (a sound system designed for accurate reproduction of music :P)

Hmm i thought they would be a bit quicker than that... must be a fair bit heavier than the magna (with less power to add to insult :P)

Hmm nah don't want an auto... i am a spirited driver... i enjoy driving... so i want a manual :P

I am considering putting a supercharger on it if i can get a good enough discount from my mate who owns Raptor Superchargers... :D

Yeah i have seen the boot is quite large... :D

A SQ System is a Sound Quality system (a sound system designed for accurate reproduction of music :P)

Hmm i thought they would be a bit quicker than that... must be a fair bit heavier than the magna (with less power to add to insult :P)

Hmm nah don't want an auto... i am a spirited driver... i enjoy driving... so i want a manual :P

I am considering putting a supercharger on it if i can get a good enough discount from my mate who owns Raptor Superchargers... :D

Yeah i have seen the boot is quite large... :D

The manual is quicker and has 5spd unlike the auto where it has only 4spd with O/D.

Camry V6 0-100kph

Auto: 8.3sec

Manual: 7.8sec

(not sure the exact numbers, but they're around that figures)

but just remember, the GEN 5/5.5 camry they're 200kg heavier than the 97-01 (GEN 4/4.5) Camry.

Get a Touring 01 V6 Manual. Such a nice car! has thicker swaybar, lowered springs, sportier cluster gauge, hmm whatelse...(can't think of anything else for now..)