ambiet lighting, neon

been reading into the benifits of ambiet lighting in cars at night.. mercedes and audi now offer it on uppper range models, and i see a great benifit in it

what im wanting to know is how hard would it be to install some of that "White or.. yellow" neon cabling around the bottom edge. doors of the my 02 camry. would it be to Bright for "ambient?"

and how would you hook it up so it comes on only with your headlights

anyone else thought about this?

ideas?

cookie

i've thought about it, but doing it myself would take me several of days or even weeks (id rather pay someone to do it). The only ambient lighting I have is under the dash (in the foot area, as you can see from the photo i took).

2062019_73.jpg

putting the lights in the right position (so its hidden away) would be the greatest challenge. Wiring should be pretty simple, and also remember to sure have a dimmer switch.

Edited by leasaunce

If this is wat u want, easy, buy 2 12-14" led or neon, ask a electrician connect to the DOOR, so when it opens, the light turns on, very easy and cheap~ 2002 camry rite? quite new, i dont dare to touch it, heard tat old cars are easier to find out which wire is the correct 1.

In u r in vic, i can help with tat. Audiofx in camberwell, also helps doing tat...

U can even connect in between and on off switch, dimmer, or sensor for sound system.

Mine just simple door connected, coz i hate dark.

post-3986-1181552933_thumb.jpg

not sure what you are after,

but i got some LEDs down @ the footwell which are connected to the door light (neons or anything else.. same concept)

what i did was that i didnt want to cut any wire cause i might screw it up and i wont know which to cut,

so i pulled some cable from the top (roof) where the interior light is all the way down the side pillar and go from there.. now the challenge with this is not the wiring but is how u bring the cable from the top to the side..

What i did was that i rolled up some paper clip, tie a fishing string to it... (so they r like a huge ball of metal - not that big but big enuf) and i got some REALLY REALLY strong magnet (got them from a friend which came out of those nav system on big ships :P ) try to guide the ball of paperclip to the side and then once u get there.. tie your cable to the other end and start dragging (i will allow for extra cable just in case and if you can leave the fish string there for future use..

that way you can connect ANY light that is connected to that wire u pulled and they will fade out when u close the door :P pretty cool haha..

pm me if you have any question

hahaha the LED King :whistling:

lol yea anything is possible but don't forget the boys in blue... i'll tell u wat i got in the car...

n they all hooked up to an accessory wire and a switch so they only turn on when the ignition is on and plus i got a switch to turn em off when i don't want em on...

i got UV neons under the footwells up front (u don't see the actual neon just the glow), and i got UV neons at the back of the front seats (anyone wearing white at the back will fully glow :D)...

i got a plasma ball on the center console between the front seats its got some mad effects that react when u touch it...

i got purple LEDz behind the aircon vents (they look soo good when u smoke in the car with the windows up)

yea that's about all i got NOW inside the car...

oh n like leasaunce n danywss said... add a dimmer to the LEDz that would look real classy (won't work so good with neons)... a dimmer would basically consist of a Potentiometer (spelling?) connected in series to the LEDz

oh n do it right... like don't do it with a fishing line n magnet n stuff... get a guide for ur car n it'll tell u exactly where the wire u want is n it'll tell u exactly how to get to it...

oh n word of advice, don't have it flashing or going with the beat or wateva... 1. it'll distract u while driving... 2. it won't look as classy, it'll look real nice in the boot with the system but not inside the car...

2c

Edited by d_ice

no i don't any pics due to a ********* fone camera lol... but i just remembered that i do have some VERY old pics of the aircon vent LEDz back when i had the VERY VERY VERY ugly green color scheme... now i just changed the green LEDz to purple ones it looks way better... but i don't have any pics of the exterior lighting :(

oh n i know the LEDz look too bright in the pics but that was before i re-aimed them... now u just see a sinister glow rather than lights blinding u...

i don't think the pics do it any justice...

2146676_30_full.jpg

2146676_25_full.jpg

2146676_35_full.jpg

2146676_34_full.jpg

lolz, yea, ledking, u won, leds in aircon... lolzzzzzz~

well, if u like led too, might as well get leds for undercar!!! and remember, get 120degree LED, NO NEON!

this is wat might loook, and still, u need a bass signal thingy, react to yr sound system!! ahh, cant leave my hand away from leds! DISCOO~~

post-3986-1181727146_thumb.jpg

yea i am plannin on getting the undercar LEDz... i'll need to add more LEDz under the wheel arches to end up with a full circle glow around the car...

but i might get the undercar kit after a few body mods (re lowering, pumped arches, upgrade to 19z)

but yea the possibilities are endless... make sure u hide all ur wiring n make it look pro :D

Edited by d_ice

I'll try and get a reasonable pic up of my in car lighting when I can get my hands on the camera.

I have red neons in the footwells, and white ones embedded into the door trims which really reacts well with the white seat covers - this is pretty close to the ambient lighting you're talking about. Also my interior light changes 7 colours...

Rice with a capital R :toast:

wow i just got an appiffany now (yes it happens sometimes)... u know how there's a gap inside the car between the front doors and the guard when the doors r open... how bout have some LEDz in the gap hooked up to the dome light... so whenever u open the door u have this glow comming from the gap...

I've got neons in the front foot wells, green interior light and led in the boot. As for wiring in the front foot wells there is a wire that turns on a light in the cigarette lighter when u turn the headlights on so i just hooked the neons up to that and then up to a switch. much easier then finding the headlight wire under the dash.

Edited by Neon

I've got neons in the front foot wells, green interior light and led in the boot. As for wiring in the front foot wells there is a wire that turns on a light in the cigarette lighter when u turn the headlights on so i just hooked the neons up to that and then up to a switch. much easier then finding the headlight wire under the dash.

it's actually the same when trying to find the headlight wire as to when trying to find the ACC wire... u use the same method to figure out which is which and the wires are usually in the same location (behind the cigg lighter or hu)...

oh and just for reference the ACC wire on toyotas is usually blue with a red strip (90% sure) and the headlight wire is usually green with a red strip... oh n ground wire is usually white with a black strip but u can just connect the ground to any metal bolt or wateva just strip the paint off...